PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with calcium level going down?

reg828
02/11/2006, 01:00 AM
i dont know what happened. my calcium use to be around 400. thats the test i took when i started dripping kalk about a month ago. but i check my calcium level again because i notice that i use to have lots of coraline growing in the back of the tank but now they are fading away. now, i check my calcium, its about 340. is this too low. is there anything wrong i drip my kalk? I use kalkwasser from two little fishes. i drip my kalk in a 5 gallon jug. when i mix them, i mix them about two teaspoon of kalk powder per gallon at a time and i shake a gallon at a time. how can i raise back the calcium to provide some coralline for my tank?

egdevilboy
02/11/2006, 01:11 AM
check alkalinity. Im not too smart with the kalk stuff.

But if your alkalinity (or pH) is low your calcium will inturn drop.

340 aint bad but could be higher for better growth.

reg828
02/11/2006, 01:17 AM
i check my ph and it is good around 8.0. i used to use kent marine liquid calcium and i my calcium was around 400 and coralline was growing. should i use liquid calcium again with the kalkwasser to maintain calcium or will the kalk will do it. pls. help

egdevilboy
02/11/2006, 01:25 AM
try to get PH to 8.3.

Check into your alkalinity also, if thats low your calcium will be low.

Im not the greatest with calcium/alk etc...so maybe someone else will help

mg426
02/11/2006, 01:33 AM
Might want to take a look at your magnesium. If it gets to low its hard to maintain ca, Shoot for 3 times your ca reading. if your ca is 425 MAg. should be around 1275.

Spuds725
02/11/2006, 01:34 AM
Calcium and alkalinity are very closely related.... if you dose calcium with low alkalinity (NOT pH) you can form a calcium carbonate precipitate (solid)-- this can lower your alkalinity farther causing a pH crash.... very bad....

Please don't add anything until you get a decent Calcium and Alkalinity test kit and see your levels.. I like Salifert.

This article cleared up the calcium and alkalinity relationship to me.....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

never add what you don't test for... if you add calcium you need to monitor your alkalinity too...

PatMayo
02/11/2006, 01:54 AM
Also I would suggest the Chemistry forum. Lots of good information regarding all things related to the chemistry of the SW tank.

Regards,

Pat