PDA

View Full Version : After 15 years I'm doing it..Dream reef

X-FACTOR
02/11/2006, 09:27 AM
Ok guys this is the deal, I signed on the new place and I have the space for a bigger reef tank, and I want everyones input and ideas to make it incredible. These are the basics:

(1) Tank size 96x48x32 or 120x48x32 360 degree viewable area.
(2) Center overflow? made out of live rock? (seriously)
(3) 1 open and 2 closed loops....HUGE FLOW
(4) Insane looking rock work...unique...how did you do that?
(5) No visible plumbing (within reason) I can drill holes anywhere.
(6) Surge device, wavemaker, dump system?
(7) Fuge in the top to keep pods etc from being "pumped" back up
(8) Mobile (light rail) as well as stationary lighting.

I have a million ideas, I have been thinking about this for 15 years, I have tryed many ideas for surge etc and have some good idea's about how to do some very unique return plumbing into the tank.
I am the guy who got the very first Oceanmotions 8 way, I talked with Paul yesterday and he is on board to help with plumbing, I have seen some of the most inspiring tanks on this board so I figured who better to help with my project then you guys.
I will have some cad drawings soon of proposed rock work and some of my plumbing ideas for you to look over.
I am very serious about this and I need a new tank, mine (the 300 in my gallery) is growing out of the water. So it is about time.
I am looking forward to your comments, good, bad or other.

X-FACTOR
02/11/2006, 01:07 PM
Ok here are a couple VERY POOR computer assisted drawings...I can hardly type let alone draw on this thing.

The outer box is the tank
The center box is the overflow
The blackened area inside is the basic rockwork
The red is caves/swim throughs
The blue is inlets from the bottom of the tank on a closed loop 8 way
The orange is another closed loop on constant
The yellow is the open loop on 2 surge devices coming in from the top above the trim feeding down into the tank.

The open loop is going to be the problematic one to create, I picture having everything on the open loop run down the overflow into the sump, then being pumped up above the tank into the rafters and into the fuge. Then the water flows out 2 different outlets into 2 seperate containers that will surge at random times depending on how fast they fill, when the water leaves the surge device they will be channeled into a "trough" that is above the trim line of the tank and be spread out all along the top of the tank into different outlets, some outlets point at 45 degrees some point straight down etc.

Now comes the problem of handling the "surge" Around 15 gallons each, I will make a huge sump and the overflow box will be loaded with several 2 inch outlets at different heights to keep up with the ever changing load of water.

I Used a similar system in my 500 gallon frag farm and it worked very well after a couple adjustments....thoughts?

Now, you have to use your imagination to even get close to what I am thinking because my computer skills are terrible.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100Top_view_new_reef.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100new_tank_side_wiew.jpg

finding nemo
02/11/2006, 03:14 PM
Sounds wonderful, will be watching for pictures as you get started.
Good luck on your new project

alphaferret
02/11/2006, 05:11 PM
sounds awsome to me! keep us informed

2004jeepoutlander
02/11/2006, 09:39 PM
Awesome rocklayout

Energy
02/11/2006, 10:52 PM
If I can be of any assistant feel free to ask. I took about a year and half to plan out my 1700 gallon stingray reef. Lately I've been reviewing the things I would do differently if I could. Hindsight is 20/20.

NexDog
02/12/2006, 12:12 AM
Energy - ain't hindsight a bihatch. :D

My setup isn't even finished and there is so much more that I'd do differently. Maybe my next one will be 1000g+ but I'll have to build an extension to house it.

X-FACTOR - dream tank has to 120x48x30. Ten foot long, four foot wide and 2 and a half foot high. That would be 750 gallons of awesome reef.

X-FACTOR
02/12/2006, 10:13 AM
Energy, Thanks I have been reading your thread, I will have questions for sure.

Nexdog, Ya I have decide it will be the 10 foot version for sure.

TacoKing
02/12/2006, 11:51 AM
My worries would be the surge device. I think that's going to cause more problems than it's worth. I think you're going to get some micro bubble issues as well as salt creep. And really, a 15 gallon surge in a tank of that size really isn't that much of a surge.

Two closed loops are a good idea. What kind of return pump are you going to use? Any chance of using penductors or something like that on it?

What type of bottom? BB, SSB, DSB?

Now, lighting, you said you were thinking of doing a light rail. I thought about doing something like that, but I just don't think it will be visually appealing.

Good luck! keep us updated.

zemuron114
02/13/2006, 12:33 AM
i think a surge would be a good idea, however in a 360 degree viewing tank it will be hard to pick a corner and get the right amount of flow... you would need 2 probably. I would do closed loops. You could also strategically place Tunzes on the overflow center pointing out.

another option is to have the CL suck water from the the outside of the bottom of the overflow, then run the PVC for the CL thought the overflow box. This would hide all PVC piping!! AND it wont require you to drill on the bottom of the tank (which alays scares me)

Goodluck

"Umm, fish?"
02/13/2006, 12:41 AM
Hey, my LFS is just setting up a tank with a center overflow and closed loop. I think they were having A LOT of dead spots to their flow. Here's their info if you want to give them a call.

Aqua Imports
(303) 444-6971 2690 28th St, Boulder, CO

fishgeeksrus
02/13/2006, 08:40 AM
Question....
How would you make an overflow out of Live rock? I understand covering/placeing lr around it, but not making one completly out of it.

X-FACTOR
02/13/2006, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6723262#post6723262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TacoKing
My worries would be the surge device. I think that's going to cause more problems than it's worth. I think you're going to get some micro bubble issues as well as salt creep. And really, a 15 gallon surge in a tank of that size really isn't that much of a surge.
I did this once before in my frag farm and it worked quite well, Now bear with me but this is not going to be a "basic" surge this is going to go through a couple "bubble seperators" before it hits the tank, the idea behind it is that the "trough" will be full of water...hard to explain...Basicly the "new" surge will force out the "old" surge with out making bubbles. I know it sounds crazy but it works and I am "test driving" a small version now. I will try to get a diagram up. 15 gallons is alot of surge when it hits the tank in 15 seconds.

Two closed loops are a good idea. What kind of return pump are you going to use? Any chance of using penductors or something like that on it?
I am using sequence cudda's wide open, I have a couple penductors and am currently working them. I have not ruled them out....yet.

What type of bottom? BB, SSB, DSB?
Ah yes, the ever growing controversy...OK this is what I am doing....I am doing a bare bottom shallow sand bed...I know what and the hell am I talking about right? Well my sand bed is going to be 100 percent white portland cement mixed in with my sand to create a solid sandbed. I love the look of a sand bed and hate the look of a BB tank but love the benefit's. So I will have the "look" of a SSB with all the benefits of a BB not to mention the flow can be insane without stirring up the sand.

Now, lighting, you said you were thinking of doing a light rail. I thought about doing something like that, but I just don't think it will be visually appealing.
Lighting..I will basicly have 2 halides in the center of the tank on a light rail as well as solid mounted lights on the outside edges....10 halides total 2 on a rail...
Good luck! keep us updated.

X-FACTOR
02/13/2006, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6728450#post6728450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
i think a surge would be a good idea, however in a 360 degree viewing tank it will be hard to pick a corner and get the right amount of flow... you would need 2 probably. I would do closed loops. You could also strategically place Tunzes on the overflow center pointing out.
I will have 2 one on each side of the tank they are marked by the yellow in my "diagram" but they will be surge troughs not surge "nozzles" I think tunze are a good idea but..$$$$.

Another option is to have the CL suck water from the the outside of the bottom of the overflow, then run the PVC for the CL thought the overflow box. This would hide all PVC piping!! AND it wont require you to drill on the bottom of the tank (which alays scares me)
But I am running an 8 way that I would like to put under the tank. All the PVC inlets for closed loops will be hidden inside of live rock towers with "grills" to alow water in, they will be quite large so there should not be any chance of things getting sucked in. There will also be strainers over the inlets themselfs. I have alot of 2 inch lines drianing the "surge" as well in the box. I will look into that but I think it will get messy with all the plumbing in the box...I am considering making it out of rock...to make matters worse..

Goodluck

X-FACTOR
02/13/2006, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6728484#post6728484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by "Umm, fish?"
Hey, my LFS is just setting up a tank with a center overflow and closed loop. I think they were having A LOT of dead spots to their flow. Here's their info if you want to give them a call.

Aqua Imports
(303) 444-6971 2690 28th St, Boulder, CO Cool thanks..I will keep them in mind.

X-FACTOR
02/13/2006, 01:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6729560#post6729560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgeeksrus
Question....
How would you make an overflow out of Live rock? I understand covering/placeing lr around it, but not making one completly out of it.
Like you said by stacking it around it, but more than likely by joining the peices of LR with cement to create a solid mass with some diamond cut slots in the top. I am not sure, I have a small cube nano that I made the overflow and the return out of live rock and it turned out pretty cool...no visible plumbing anywhere in the tank (everything runs out the bottom)

X-FACTOR
02/26/2006, 06:33 PM
Ok, the plumbing is run under the concrete slab (they are pouring it tomorrow) I ran a single 2 inch drain line (2) 1 inch schedule 40 pvc lines for auto top off and the dedicated water change line (will bring ready made salt water to the tank) as well as the 1 inch electrical conduit for the electric inside the stand.
I took some pictures of the rough plumbing that I will post when I can get them off of my camara.

I have a local truss company engineering/building the stand and canopy. My real issue with this setup is that it is going to be a "pillar" so you can view all 4 sides of it, there is no filter and equipment room that backs up to it so it all needs to be placed in the stand and canopy.
The stand cannot have any center legs in it just the outside edge's, and the canopy needs to hold the refugium (150 gallons), (2) 15 gallon surge tanks as well as all the lighting and chiller. I am having the canopy built so it can be suspended from the celing rafters (they are steel right above the tank) so there wont be any weight on the tank. It will have a 18 inch tall space for the lights and movers and then above it will be a floor that I can get into and work on the equipment, Basicly you will be able to open the doors and climb into there with a ladder.

reefarchitect
02/28/2006, 09:14 PM
Just curious, Could you just make a solid piece of aragacrete type rock for your setup? This would allow for all of the plumbing to be set in place and a custom reef base to be built around it. I know that several people on RC are opposed to home-made rock, but it could offer some great flexibility in setting up the reef, not to mention ensuring that no plumbing would be visible.

Good luck, this already sounds to be an amazing setup.

X-FACTOR
03/01/2006, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6852351#post6852351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefarchitect
Just curious, Could you just make a solid piece of aragacrete type rock for your setup? This would allow for all of the plumbing to be set in place and a custom reef base to be built around it. I know that several people on RC are opposed to home-made rock, but it could offer some great flexibility in setting up the reef, not to mention ensuring that no plumbing would be visible.

Good luck, this already sounds to be an amazing setup.
That is basicly what I am thinking, I picture getting alot of show size live rock, drilling and doweling it together with some clear acrylic rod (like maybe 1/2 inch) then joining all of that together with aragonite and white portland cement, to create a large solid structure that can have large overhangs and caves etc. I want to build it all in place so I can start building up from the plumbing to hide it all as well as alow the flow to be pointed the directions it will need to go. I think it will take a few days to build what I picture in my head so at night I will just cover the tank with plastic and have a small misting system that will run to keep the live rock wet without "washing down" the new cement.

fishgeeksrus
03/01/2006, 10:29 AM
is there a way to completly seal the rock? The only problem I see is that it (the rock) is pouris. It might hold back enough water while it's running, but if you loose power, it'll overflow your sump.

X-FACTOR
03/01/2006, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6855458#post6855458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgeeksrus
is there a way to completly seal the rock? The only problem I see is that it (the rock) is pouris. It might hold back enough water while it's running, but if you loose power, it'll overflow your sump.

Good point...I never thought about that, I am sure I could seal it with epoxy paint inside (like the plywood tank guys do), or make the stand pipes taller, realisticly I will just cover the overflow with rock like normal...the one I built in the nano has the standpipe built up into it so It don't matter if it "leaks". It will be really hard to get the top of a live rock overflow level and such anyway.

X-FACTOR
04/05/2006, 09:53 PM
IT'S HERE!!! my new tank arrived on monday (120x48x32), Man is it heavy all 3/4 with a 3/4 tempered bottom with a island overflow, 10 of us picked it up out of the back of the truck.... Now the work begins. Stand by for photo's and video.

Konrade
04/05/2006, 10:06 PM
Man you have to much tanks and money.....jealous.

NexDog
04/05/2006, 10:11 PM
Not quite 1200 gallons like in your sig but still an impressive 800. Standing by. ;)

ZoeReef
04/06/2006, 01:46 AM
00!!! Call me: Subscribed to this thread! We're building a 7-900 gal reef for our childcare next year and I'm way glad you're working on this. It will be awesome and I will look forward to following you on this...

Andy

jacob30
04/06/2006, 06:55 AM
Have you read this thread about faux sandbeds:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392144&perpage=25&highlight=faux&pagenumber=9

I saw in your post that you are going with a cement sand mix sandbed. Read HDTV guys experience if you have not already. These faux sandbeds are a good idea but if done wrong can lead to tragedy. He used epoxy so your experience with cement may be different.

DitchPlains2
04/06/2006, 07:18 AM
Your 300g pics are amazing, great reef, aspiring for me with my 55g, soon to be a 120g.

Keep us posted with design, and construction shots.

David

X-FACTOR
04/06/2006, 08:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7121228#post7121228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
Not quite 1200 gallons like in your sig but still an impressive 800. Standing by. ;)

I guess it is a little misleading, It will be over 1200 with the fuge and the sump is going to be a tide pool design with a large grow out area, all of my species tanks are going to be "picture framed" in the stand so you can walk around the tank and see the things I can't have inside the reef.

X-FACTOR
04/06/2006, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7122430#post7122430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacob30
Have you read this thread about faux sandbeds:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392144&perpage=25&highlight=faux&pagenumber=9

I saw in your post that you are going with a cement sand mix sandbed. Read HDTV guys experience if you have not already. These faux sandbeds are a good idea but if done wrong can lead to tragedy. He used epoxy so your experience with cement may be different.
I have been reading up on them, I know one guy who has a "cement sand bed" and it looks great, I am weighing all the options the epoxy looks great ....hmmm more stuff to think about.

X-FACTOR
04/06/2006, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7122518#post7122518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DitchPlains2
Your 300g pics are amazing, great reef, aspiring for me with my 55g, soon to be a 120g.

Keep us posted with design, and construction shots.

David

Thanks Man! The 300 is a great tank I only do a 10% water change 2 times a year and clean the glass daily..VERY low maintence tank, It is almost 100% automated.

Pictures are coming...I have a mpeg of the guys that built it trying to get it on a forklift...man was I nervous.

NexDog
04/06/2006, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7122770#post7122770 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by X-FACTOR
I guess it is a little misleading, It will be over 1200 with the fuge and the sump is going to be a tide pool design with a large grow out area, all of my species tanks are going to be "picture framed" in the stand so you can walk around the tank and see the things I can't have inside the reef.
Not to be pedantic but the reef will be 800 gallons and the system will be 1200 gallons. I changed my sig because because assumed I had a 450g tank so just something to think about out. You know, you'll say "I want to keep a few tangs" and people will think that's fine as you have a 1200g tank but in fact it's a tiny 800g which is just not suitable. ;):p:D

alien9168
04/06/2006, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7123286#post7123286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
Not to be pedantic but the reef will be 800 gallons and the system will be 1200 gallons. I changed my sig because because assumed I had a 450g tank so just something to think about out. You know, you'll say "I want to keep a few tangs" and people will think that's fine as you have a 1200g tank but in fact it's a tiny 800g which is just not suitable. ;):p:D

LOL

I think 800g is fine lol ;)

I like the idea of having all of those other spicies tanks in the stand... that should be really cool! :)

X-FACTOR
04/15/2006, 09:44 AM
Ok, I have ordered in the live rock and it should be here next week, I ordered (2) 6 foot :eek1: pecies of slab for the top and one large (3x3) rock for a island in one corner. I have several 60 to 80 pound pecies already. If all goes well the tank should be installed on top of the stand late next week.
I am trying to get the guy to send me a couple pictures of the tank and stand, it is at his shop so he can measure everything for the stand and canopy, I guess I might have to drive over there (75 miles round trip) and do it myself LOL.

Here is a cut and paste of the cad design that the guy who is building the stand and canopy sent to me.
This is a side view of the stand, the small openings will be where my species tanks go. There will be 2 on each side of the tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100tank_stand1_copy.jpg

ZoeReef
04/15/2006, 11:20 AM
I'll be interested in how this all comes together. I must be reading your mind or something because I also want to build a large peninsula tank with several display tanks. I had wanted a seahorse tank but I like the idea of an octopus tank. Will you have any way of isolating the tanks from one another if need be?

I'm sure with the amount of thought you have put into this tank you have a good plan for water exchanges. I will be interested to see what you do with this.

Finally, where did you order your LR from? I hope you are able to photograph the biggest of those large pieces before they are assembled. I would like to see what those monsters look like as I will probably be doing the same next year. Thanks..Andy

Galtamar
04/15/2006, 05:45 PM
About covering the overflow with live rock. There is a thread here about a guy thatcovered the back of the tank with a foam that is used for ponds and it looks just as live rock. maybe u can cover the overflow with this foam and than put the live rock. just an idea.

garvondavis14
05/10/2006, 08:19 PM
any updates?

X-FACTOR
05/10/2006, 10:08 PM
I have been waiting on contractors to finish up so I can get things going. :rolleyes:
I got the live rock finally :cool: (it was special order) it took awhile to get.
The rock weights from the invoice are:

Tonga eva rock: 347#'s
Tonga vavau rock: 373#'s
Tonga slab: 411#'s

Grand total is 1131 pounds of cherry XXL show size Live Rock:eek: :D That should make a nice reef huh? I will get some pic's soon..it is pretty amazing looking stuff.

asnatlas
05/17/2006, 03:16 AM
So where are the pics :p

X-FACTOR
05/17/2006, 08:17 AM
I went to hawaii a few months back and the first thing that happened was our rental got broke into and we lost all of our camara gear (6500 dollars worth) so I am scrounging and borrowing to get a camara:( But the good news is the tanks and stand is in place and the live rock is ready to go...I will try to post some pic's tonight.

Did you get the return email about the pond shawn? could you open it?

ruiny
05/17/2006, 08:34 AM
I love to see these kind of projects come togther.
Waiting for the pictures. :)

James11
05/17/2006, 02:38 PM
Can't wait to see some pics, keep em' coming. Wish I could build my dream reef.

asnatlas
05/18/2006, 01:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7382863#post7382863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by X-FACTOR
I went to hawaii a few months back and the first thing that happened was our rental got broke into and we lost all of our camara gear (6500 dollars worth) so I am scrounging and borrowing to get a camara:( But the good news is the tanks and stand is in place and the live rock is ready to go...I will try to post some pic's tonight.

Did you get the return email about the pond shawn? could you open it?

DOH , I am sorry to hear about your loss... I know if it was me I would be P***ED as hell...

No I didn't get your e-mail... When did you send it ?? Are you able to resend it ??

X-FACTOR
05/21/2006, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7388789#post7388789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
DOH , I am sorry to hear about your loss... I know if it was me I would be P***ED as hell...

No I didn't get your e-mail... When did you send it ?? Are you able to resend it ??

I sent it a couple weeks ago, I will try to resend it to you ...(I need to find the file again).

The only camara I have right now is my phone, so the pics suck but here are a couple new one's, I will get some live rock ones soon as well as plumbing.

One from the very begining

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00160.jpg

and a couple for size reference..My lovley daughter is the model :D
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00172.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00177.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00176.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00173.jpg

olkeller
05/22/2006, 08:03 PM
tracy how much longer till the store opens

X-FACTOR
05/22/2006, 10:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7418753#post7418753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by olkeller
tracy how much longer till the store opens

YGPM, I don't want the thread to get off-topic :)

NCreefwannabe
05/23/2006, 01:20 AM
MORE.... im on board for sure!!

Freed
05/23/2006, 01:45 AM
Have you thought about a toilet type surge with flappers and floats to open and close the flow? And then a pump to pump water back up into the toilet type system to fill it up again?

X-FACTOR
05/23/2006, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7420342#post7420342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Have you thought about a toilet type surge with flappers and floats to open and close the flow? And then a pump to pump water back up into the toilet type system to fill it up again?

Yes, I have used them before, I have already designed the surge tanks (and collected the equipment) they will be electric ball valves and timing relays that dump into glass troughs that will flood the entire width of the tank instead of a couple pecies of PVC pipe in the corners of the tank. I am trying to do this with no bubbles.

NCreefwannabe
05/24/2006, 09:08 PM
any updates?

alien9168
06/04/2006, 07:57 AM
that tank is enormous lol!

Its going to look great!

olkeller
06/10/2006, 11:50 AM
I went and saw the tank pretty impresive Tracy give us an update let me know if you need some one to come by and take some pics

X-FACTOR
08/30/2006, 09:37 PM
UPDATE: it is getting close..

It has been very hectic in for me over the past couple months, so I have not been able to check in much. The reef is moving along quite nice (although the finish carpentry is going slow) as of today I have the following stuff completed on the tank:

1100 pounds of live rock (tank has been cycling from june 10th? to now)

400 pounds fine aragonite sand (no faux sand bed....I wussed out)

Surge devices (2x55 gal) are in and almost done (55 gallons in 20 to 25 seconds) I have video of some tests if somone can host it. (these are cool!)

2 barracudda pumps one open, one closed with a 4way

Most of this stuff has been done for a couple months, It has been slow going to get the hood (6 feet tall) suspended from the ceiling but it is finally done, it is weighing in at around 3000 pounds fully loaded with surge tanks, fuge, chiller, lighting, CA02 reactor, phyto reactor, etc. It is a little strange when you climb up in the hood way above the tank and think about how much weight is hanging over the tank. The small "species" tanks around the bottom are almost done they will slide in and out on slides for ease of cleaning etc. I will try to check in a little more now we are getting close to adding the finishing touches to the system.....it is pretty insane so far.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100image_00001.jpg

demeyer2
08/31/2006, 08:39 AM
wow congrats, definitely the craziest canopy i have ever seen

alien9168
08/31/2006, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050040#post8050040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demeyer2
wow congrats, definitely the craziest canopy i have ever seen

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

How is that thing suspended from the ceiling? :eek2: That must be an EXTREMLY STRONG roof! :)

Its awsome...no matter what though. :)

X-FACTOR
08/31/2006, 09:44 PM
Double post...:)

X-FACTOR
08/31/2006, 09:46 PM
I have about 300 pictures of the setup process from dry tank to how it looks now so I will start posting them soon.

The canopy is engineered to hold 10,000 pounds and the joists are engineered for 10 times that, the canopy is connected in 6 spots to the steel joists and is able to be raised up and down at each spot to get it level, it is floating about an inch above the tank, you can reach up and move it with your hand.
It was quite a task to get all of the logistics worked out, it is a 360 degree viewable tank so I cannot really have a equipment room (although the r/o and salt mixing tanks are 75 feet away) But the biggest problem was that because of the surge tanks I needed a large sump so I could pump out 100 gallons at a time with out sucking air as well as surge in 100 gallons without overflowing onto the floor.
I ended up putting in a 240 gallon tank for the sump, problem is it takes up most of the inside of stand. Between the H&S A300, the 240 gallon sump, the barracuda pump and the 4 species tanks on drawers as well as all the plumbing, the stand is full. That is when I decided "hey why not put the equipment room above the tank". So the planning began from that point.

ZoeReef
08/31/2006, 11:02 PM
WOW! You are a king of innovation. What a massive system.

I missed the purpose of the structure in which the tank is housed. Home..business?

From a visual point of view, the canopy/suspended fish room pulls your eye. My guess is that it will compete with the tank for attention. Any thoughts on how to break up the overhead mass visually? I'm no designer but I know that light color of the wood pulls the eye much more than dark would. I'm really interested in what you're doing here. Thanks for posting!

ZoeReef
08/31/2006, 11:23 PM
I found this pic in a post while browsing and I thought there might be a conceptual graphic that might spark an idea.

IMHO Your canopy/fish room could visually overwhelm that gorgeous tank. Look at the graphic under the balcony. It has a series of shades of blue. I'm not suggesting this graphic but as long as you have such a heavy visual mass above the tank I bet there is a way to make it add to the visual experience. :)

andy

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/zoereef/IMG_0405a.jpg

Titan*69
09/01/2006, 11:01 AM
I really dig the stand, thats some fine craftsmanship.

X-FACTOR
09/01/2006, 08:33 PM
LOL King...I don't think so just a poor hobbyist with an idea.

The tank is in my store in Southern Utah right off I-15 if anyone ever wants to stop in and climb up in the canopy :D feel free to do so.

From the picture the canopy is very intrusive, but to be honest when your in the store or coming in the store you are at eye level with the tank and don't "notice" it as much. From the front (the opposite side from the picture) of the store to the tank is only about 8 feet so there is not really a way to take in the whole thing. From the back of the store you really get a good look at it and it is pretty big, We are going to "Burn" the wood before it is stained and finished so it will be darker than it is now, I hope that helps.
We are thinking about breaking it up with some paintings or cutouts of fish etc. I will probably ask for help from everyone here if we decide to go that route.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8055296#post8055296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZoeReef
WOW! You are a king of innovation. What a massive system.

I missed the purpose of the structure in which the tank is housed. Home..business?

From a visual point of view, the canopy/suspended fish room pulls your eye. My guess is that it will compete with the tank for attention. Any thoughts on how to break up the overhead mass visually? I'm no designer but I know that light color of the wood pulls the eye much more than dark would. I'm really interested in what you're doing here. Thanks for posting!

X-FACTOR
09/01/2006, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8057687#post8057687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Titan*69
I really dig the stand, thats some fine craftsmanship.

The guys helping me do it are amazing at woodwork, wait until you see what they have planned for some trim and accent pieces!

dougie
09/02/2006, 06:37 AM
sweet tank.!!

X-FACTOR
09/08/2006, 09:13 AM
UPDATE:

Ok here are some pictures from the last couple months...enjoy :)

Starting the plumbing, from this picture to the water delivery was done in 1 day, if you notice it gets dark in the pictures, I was under deadline for the water delivery the following morning, we (my brother and I) were there until 5am them came back for the water at 7 am....that was a rough day.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0381.JPG

X-FACTOR
09/08/2006, 09:14 AM
Bulkheads in for the closed loop as well as closed loop inlet and the outlets for the drains. One of the bulkheads in the bottom glass feeds up through the tank to the surge system in the hood.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0382.JPG

Closed loop spray bar plumbing done, these 4 will be on the 4 way
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0384.JPG

Finished view inside overflow, Durso's are in. The open 1 1/2 pipes on the left and right feed the closed loop then through a 4 way. the one in the middle will feed the refugium and the surge tanks in the hood.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0390.JPG

X-FACTOR
09/08/2006, 09:15 AM
Outside the overflow a spraybar and 1 inlet for the closed loop
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0392.JPG

Drilling through the brace to put in the 2" bulkheads that will feed the surge trough from the surge tanks, man was I nervous!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0394.JPG

Marking the placement of the hole in the surge trough to line up with the 2" bulkheads that feed the trough, Notice the openings that will allow the water to rush out across the tank, We heated up the plastic with a torch so we could cut it easy with a razor knife.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0398.JPG

Done
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0399.JPG

Left side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0400.JPG

X-FACTOR
09/08/2006, 09:16 AM
Troughs are in and the plumbing is done, the troughs will feed left then right to create a "ocean like" effect
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0401.JPG

Adding sand
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0403.JPG

A few hundred pounds of live rock in
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0413.JPG

This photo is to show the extra long fingers for in the overflow box they are that way to catch the 100 gallon surge without overflowing on to the floor.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0415.JPG

X-FACTOR
09/08/2006, 09:17 AM
Water delivery, I had a LA based company make the trip from vegas when they were there on a normal delivery to come here to fill my system. It took less than 10 minutes to fill the new reef with real ocean water and it was cheaper that I could have made saltwater.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0417.JPG

2" line fills up a tank pretty fast
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0421.JPG

The 240 gallon sump is in place
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0424.JPG

Almost full
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0435.JPG

The hood frame arrives
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0443.JPG

At this poing the hood frame is just setting on top of the tank if you look close you can see the hardware that will suspend it from the roof.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0450.JPG

Roughout openings for the species tanks
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0458.JPG

This is the way it looks now, Notice the surge troughs are out (they need to be modified some) you can see the 4 way on closed loop in the hood if you look close that is feeding the spray bar as well as some random areas around the overflow.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100DCP_0533.JPG

I will take the camara today and go over some of the canopy mounting hardware and the surge system as well as a few other things. Is there anything you want a picture of?

KNUCKLEHEAD
09/08/2006, 09:28 AM
That`s an incredible job you`re doing. I love the importing of fresh ocean directly to you`re tank. Now that`s good planning. Good luck with you`re project. I`ve been following it since you started diary-ing it.
Tony

snowlancer2720
09/08/2006, 03:23 PM
Thats an amazing looking tank. I congratulate you on the whole thing and I cant wait to see it complete!

maxxII
09/08/2006, 10:13 PM
Personally, I'm interested in learning more about your surge troughs and the oversized teeth on the overflow. I'm in the early stages of planning a (much) smaller system and want to use surge tanks to provide most of the water movement.

Nick

drummereef
09/08/2006, 11:32 PM
Awesome. I need a water delivery truck like that! :D

wakeboarder2342
09/09/2006, 05:31 PM
I stopped in today to check this tank out. Tracy gave me the walkthrough of the system and turned it on to show me the surge setup. I have to say it was very impressive, he has about 30 anthias in the tank and most of the rock. The pics dont do justice to the size of this thing, the canopy is so large you can walk around up there for service ect. When the surge dumps it puts an amazing amount of water moving!

I cant wait to see it completed, i know from seeing tracys old 300 system that this will be serious TOTM quality when it is completed, i didnt dare ask the cost of the system but im guessing 20k+ if it cost a dollar!

He will be sure to have some high quality sps and hard to find fish, how about posting a picture of your albino yellow tang!!

keep the updates coming!

X-FACTOR
09/09/2006, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111823#post8111823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamesbburgess
how about posting a picture of your albino yellow tang!!

Here ya go...My daughter calls her "Princess"
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100albino_tang.jpg

XxMutedYouthxX
09/10/2006, 01:31 AM
that fish is wicked awesome!

Chad Vossen
09/10/2006, 04:35 PM
how much did that tang cost and where did you find him???? amazing setup your putting together!

Bax
09/10/2006, 04:46 PM
Fantastic system layout!!!

adamprice271
09/11/2006, 03:55 PM
Looks awesome so far. Keep it up and keep us posted.

Adam

X-FACTOR
05/20/2007, 06:13 PM
Wow, I can't believe how long its been since I posted. I have been slowly working on the reef and have slowly been getting things done. here are a couple pics for now. I will try to keep up a little better with updated pics and videos.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0295.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0229.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0304-1.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0088.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0082.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0391.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0385.jpg

Freed
05/20/2007, 06:22 PM
Won't the mantis eat some of the fish and other life in there? Great looking set up though. Love the yellow/white tang and the medusa worm.

X-FACTOR
05/20/2007, 06:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9980775#post9980775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Won't the mantis eat some of the fish and other life in there? Great looking set up though. Love the yellow/white tang and the medusa worm.

Sorry, I forgot to mention he lives in the species tank in the bottom right corner of the stand.

Ya, the tang we call the princess...its her tank. The medusa was 3 inchs long when I put it in there it is now almost 3 feet..

Freed
05/20/2007, 06:32 PM
Make sure you protect your overflows and your PH intakes. Mine got sucked in a few times till it disappeared one day.

Bax
05/20/2007, 06:35 PM
Very cool!

I see your albino YT is a little more yellow these days, ... nice!

KNUCKLEHEAD
05/20/2007, 07:08 PM
I like how you framed the species tanks in the framed doors below. Also the openness of your reef. Very nice rockscape.
Impressing!!

green_frogspawn
05/20/2007, 09:42 PM
i love it!! such a great selection of fish, well done :)

X-FACTOR
05/20/2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys!

FREED: No PH's so far so good with the overflows..(crosses fingers)

BAX: Ya she has got a lot more yellow over the last year, I swear it comes and goes..LOL

KNUCKLE: The frames are actually held on with 2 inch wide Velcro, when I want to access the tanks I just pull off the face plate and the entire tank slides out on custom made drawers, they slide in and out with 1 finger..super easy access...I'll get some pics.

GFS: Thanks I'll try to tell you the stock list but I'm sure I'll forget some.

I'm sure i'll hack the spelling so bear with me..

Albino yellow tang
black tang
purple tang
2 yellow tangs
4 blue tangs
1 yellow belly blue tang
dussermeri tang
tomini tang
tennetti tang
red sea jardini tang
blonde naso tang
chevron tang

2 multi banded pipefish (breeding pair 4 years old)
2 true percs
magnificent foxface
blue lined rabbit
4 PJ cardinals
1 banggaii cardinals
9 lyrtail anthias
5 sunburst anthias
7 blue reef chromis
7 green chromis
1 common cleaner wrasse (3 years old!)
2 yellow fin fairy wrasses
2 blue sided fairy wrasses
1 white bar mystery wrasse
1 labouti fairy wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 blue spotted jawfish
1 redstripe Indian blenny

wish list includes:

Gem tang
orange striped lineatus tang
sohal tang
Achilles tang
chocolate tang
helfrichi firefish
lots of gobys, blennys etc....

KNUCKLEHEAD
05/20/2007, 10:39 PM
I would definitely like to see some pix of your sliders. Every little trick I read of, or see, is always relegated to my memory banks for future use, with credit to you, properly noted, of course.
Nice thing about it, is that one couldn`t even tell, just by looking.

Mr. Brooks
05/21/2007, 02:26 AM
Simply beautiful. A marvel of engineering, planning, and hard work. Kudos.

OnlyCrimson
05/21/2007, 09:55 AM
wowww. I want to stand on that canopy!

asnatlas
11/03/2008, 05:16 PM
Any updates ??

TandN
11/03/2008, 07:20 PM
wow this is one sweet tank please a update would be great

rob1991
11/03/2008, 08:57 PM
wow this is like one of the grestest put together tanks ive ever seen! i would love to see like 100 pics of the main tak and the species tanks!!! :)

forddna
11/04/2008, 09:13 AM
Awesome build!! New pics, please!!

What is the fish dead center in this picture? Looks to be half black, half deep blue?

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x189/livingartaquarium/100_0304-1.jpg

13threefmaniac
11/04/2008, 09:37 AM
Chevron Tang??

Reefski's
11/04/2008, 12:22 PM
Dori tang.

the other fish bottom blue part appears to be a reflection to me.

Carl

asmodeus
11/04/2008, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8113170#post8113170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by X-FACTOR
Here ya go...My daughter calls her "Princess"
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/48100albino_tang.jpg
I have been looking for a tang like that how much was he and where did you get hom from

SunnyX
11/04/2008, 01:14 PM
I love the aquascaping. Good job! :thumbsup:

maxxII
11/04/2008, 04:55 PM
Forddna,
it is an adult Chevron tang, Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis...

Nick

drpo21
11/04/2008, 05:22 PM
wow, i wonder what this tank looks like today. oh and that tang is a chevron, looks like there is a reflection of a coke or something that makes it seem like a cool looking fish.

stunreefer
11/05/2008, 10:28 AM
HOLY COW!

What an awesome build X!

I used to advise, install and maintain ponds and waterfalls... it was a lot of fun and I still miss many of the adventures I had! I don't miss spring clean-up after a winter though - I'm sure you guys have to go through that in Utah too.

Anyways, fantastic build, and we'd all love some updated pics if you get a chance :D

forddna
11/05/2008, 02:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13681366#post13681366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
Forddna,
it is an adult Chevron tang, Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis...

Nick

How in the world can you tell that from that picture? Just the body and fin shape??

maxxII
11/05/2008, 04:25 PM
Yup....

Looking at the mouth shape determines its a Ctenochaetus tang. Only one Ctenochaetus tang grows that size and has a dark almost black looking body like that....

Nick

forddna
11/05/2008, 04:28 PM
Cool. Good eye. :)

asnatlas
12/03/2008, 08:49 PM
test...

erics3000
12/03/2008, 11:01 PM
any updates

PaulieWalnuts
12/04/2008, 12:13 AM
i am so mad i did not fine this earlier...very nice...love all the tangs and tanks below are very neat idea..love the mantis!!

spsfreak
12/05/2008, 12:52 PM
Very nice, lets see some nice updates!! ;)

X-FACTOR
12/05/2008, 05:12 PM
I will take some picture soon and post them....no really I will....

erics3000
12/06/2008, 10:58 AM
gREAT..........

NexDog
04/18/2009, 06:50 AM
Must....see....pics.

And another resurrection from me.

There is no escape.

thejuggernaut
09/29/2009, 01:16 AM
any updates...id really love to see a video of how your surge device works!

Western_reefer
09/29/2009, 01:37 AM
Updates please!! :D