PDA

View Full Version : How do I avoid a noisy pump?

xpo186
02/12/2006, 02:32 AM
What could I do to dampen the vibrations from my CL pump? I want to mount it at the same level as the flooded intakes (two bulkheads on each side of the single overflow box, a third of the way from the bottom of the tank). Also... I'm a complete noob at plumbing! :confused:

PatMayo
02/12/2006, 02:43 AM
Soundproofing foam.
Maybe set it on rubber.

AllenFord_SC
02/12/2006, 04:43 AM
you can use a mouse pad doubled over to dampen the vibrations. And when you plumb it make sure to add unions on the input and outpet side of the pump. This will allow easy removal of the pump for future maintenance.

AllenFord_SC
02/12/2006, 04:47 AM
Oh yeay don't forget about the ball valves on the outer side of the unions to shut off water flow while the pump is removed. The order should be:

Ball valve
Union
Pump intake
Pump output
Union
Ball valve

You can simplify this by getting union ball valves. Savko is a good source for plumbing supplies.

xpo186
02/12/2006, 02:03 PM
thanks for the plumbing tip... I actually had the exact same configuration with unions and ball valves with the addition of a gate valve after the ball valve on the output side.

Is it important to dampen the vibration through the plumbing? Will it ever negatively affect the life/seal integrity of the bulkhead? If so, how can I avoid this?

Thanks so much for your input everyone... much appreciated.

xpo186
02/12/2006, 10:07 PM
anybody?