PDA

View Full Version : can you help me with flow in my sps 290 reef

Black71gp
02/12/2006, 09:35 AM
I am ordering a new 290 for an sps reef... 72x36x26 high... kinda stuck on flow... right now i have an iwaki 100 in the basement pushing up with two 3/4 penductors... i am thinking of adding one more eductor and putting them on the oposite end of the overflow.. this is a pennisula style tank.. three side viewable. i currently have a sequence hammerhead, but plan on trading it or selling it for something.. i was thinking two darts move more water and use less energy.. or something like an iwaki 70 with three more educotrs on a closed loop on the overflow end of the tank.. but blowing across the bottome.. ya its BB... this would give me a nice flow keeping detrius headed towards the overfloiw... i dont know what else i can do.. tunzes are too expensive at the moment.. thinking of adding a wavebox in the future... any thoughts or comments please..... please....

here is a drawing...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/Black71gp/flowin290.jpg

elephen
02/12/2006, 09:39 AM
Only problem with the Darts is that they are a high flow low pressure pump so they don't handle any heat well at all.

The Hammerhead and 'cuda on the other hand moves some water. Eductors are good but I would also add something to help randomize the flow, you'll have good flow but it'll always be the same. Corals like random or back-and-fourth water movement.

So far looks pretty good man.

Black71gp
02/12/2006, 09:44 AM
so maybe like an iwaki 55 two eductors on the lower bottom of tank and a dart closed loop pump with outlets... where??lol flow is the hardest part.. the rocks will also be up on small pegs so thigns can be blown arcoss the bottome....

jackson6745
02/12/2006, 10:17 AM
Definite wavebox for that system. It keeps detritus in suspension and cool alternating flow. Millis look insane with wavebox flow :)

RichConley
02/12/2006, 12:58 PM
Whats going above the tank? IE is it going to be cabineted to the ceiling? If so, carlson surge devices may be a good fit for random flow. Cheap to run, and provide great random flow.

Black71gp
02/12/2006, 02:01 PM
the a standard closed canpoy.. that will be on a pully system to raise and lower.. no unfortunatly i cant do a surge system..

man the wave box is crazy expanseive.. not sure if i want a dart, and iwaki with eductors on closed loop along with the eductors on the return or just a dart.. or just eductors.. if i had that swirling patter would the wavebox still work? this has got to be the hardest thing to figure out what do to...