PDA

View Full Version : Best deal on Filter socks and how often do you change?

10" Red Devil
02/12/2006, 12:26 PM
Where is the best place to buy those filter socks? Also what is the increment you all use to change them? Does anyone reuse them? Is this advisable or should I be avoiding this?

Thanks!

integlikewhoa
02/12/2006, 12:36 PM
www.filterbag.com
Bags need to be cleaned 3-5 day on my tank. I cant afford to put a new one every 3-5 days. I clean them until they just wont clean no more then i replace. Good to have a few on had. Then swap them out when on get dirty.

gfk
02/12/2006, 01:04 PM
which do you use from that link?

LivingTropicals
02/12/2006, 01:24 PM
I have to use the ones that are made for my sump. Have 5 bags that I switch out every 2 days for a new one. I soak in water then pressure spray clean when I have no more left. Buy new ones every year or so.

DMK
02/12/2006, 01:48 PM
i get mine from www.exoticfish.com. they're almost 3 years old and have held up well w/ washing in washing machine. i'm about to order new ones. i have the 50 micron. what do u guys use? i like them because they catch everything.

JKH
02/12/2006, 02:07 PM
I am curious as well what people are using from filterbag.com. I was thinking about a 100 micron poly felt.

anyone?

TIA

10" Red Devil
02/12/2006, 02:14 PM
So noone reuses huh? Well I know if I used the onese from my lfs I would be so broke, they want $8 for one bag!!

It is the kind that has a plastic ring at the time and then a felt like bag, not sure on the micron.

lossman
02/12/2006, 02:43 PM
Buy at least three sets. Change every other day or so. When they need cleaning, turn them inside out and wash in your washing machine. Make sure you run the washer through a rinse cycle first to get out any detergent residue. Run the socks through a full wash cycle using 1/2 cup bleach. Then run the socks through another rinse cycle. If the socks are particularly dirty, you might wish to run them through a rinse cycle prior to the full wash or rinse them out with your hose. Allow to air dry before reusing.

old salty
02/12/2006, 03:17 PM
I have four bags that last about three days each. Wash 'em and reuse them.

jasper24
02/12/2006, 03:59 PM
I have 2 that I alternate about every 5 days. I have a small tank (58G) and small bio load though. I turn it inside out and wash it with about 1/2 cup of bleach. I then do 2 additional rinses and let it hang dry. Been doing it for a year with no problems.

10" Red Devil
02/12/2006, 11:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6724325#post6724325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lossman
Buy at least three sets. Change every other day or so. When they need cleaning, turn them inside out and wash in your washing machine. Make sure you run the washer through a rinse cycle first to get out any detergent residue. Run the socks through a full wash cycle using 1/2 cup bleach. Then run the socks through another rinse cycle. If the socks are particularly dirty, you might wish to run them through a rinse cycle prior to the full wash or rinse them out with your hose. Allow to air dry before reusing.

How long before you can no longer reuse?

Thanks.

integlikewhoa
02/13/2006, 12:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6724142#post6724142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 10" Red Devil
So noone reuses huh? Well I know if I used the onese from my lfs I would be so broke, they want $8 for one bag!!

It is the kind that has a plastic ring at the time and then a felt like bag, not sure on the micron.

I think your reading the posts wrong beacuse everyone on here reuses the bags. When they say they have 5 they switch out every 3 days. That means the own 5 bags total. One bag is in the tank and the other 4 they clean ( there is many ways to clean them) and have ready so when the one in the tank is full of crap they take it out and clean it then start the cycle over. You can clean and reuse the same bag 100's of times. Buy a few of them that way incase you get lazy you can let 3 of them get dirty wash all of them at one time and you dont have to clean one every 3 days. Hope this make sense. But one one that replyed on this page says the buy a new on every 3 days when they get dirty.

10" Red Devil
02/13/2006, 01:43 AM
integlikewhoa,

Cool thanks! :bum:

10" Red Devil
02/13/2006, 01:45 AM
integlikewhoa,

So which bags do you buy from that linked company?

Thanks.

10" Red Devil
02/13/2006, 08:14 PM
bump

vonodie1
02/13/2006, 08:29 PM
How does one know which micron number is the best to use?

Is the smaller the number the looser the threading or is it the other way around?

Thanks