PDA

View Full Version : Long Spined Urchin Trouble

callmedrlove
02/12/2006, 01:16 PM
I just bought a Long Spined urchin from my LFS. When I got it home, I acclimated it using a drip method for about 30 minutes. I then floated the bag in the tank to finish equalizing the temperatures for a couple of minutes. I put the urchin in and it ran around for a few minutes, even chasing one of my hermit crabs. But then it stopped moving and just sat there. It's been sitting for about 24 hours now. I know it's still alive, because it moves its spines every now and again. But the spines are not erect, they are all just laying down. Is there anything I can do to help save this urchin, or is it just going to die?

fishman805
02/12/2006, 01:23 PM
Where did you learn to acclimate your fish?? Fish and especially sesile inverts need to acclimate for at least 2 hours before putting them into the tank and you should stabalize temp "first" then do the drip.....

In either case, your urchin may have just found a good place to munch or "more likely" since it's spines are all down, may be on it's way out.... Although urchins lose spines from time to time, losing all of them is a sure sign of doom....

Good luck.... And the drip method is still the most recommended method of acclimating.....

Bob

minimalist
02/12/2006, 01:26 PM
Acclimation is for suckers. I use the "plop" method. :thumbsup:

callmedrlove
02/12/2006, 02:49 PM
First off, I learned to acclimate from a book called The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by author Bob Fenner. And I quote:

1) Place the shipping bag upright in a tub or bucket and cut open the top. Be sure the bag can't topple over.
2) Carefully dip out and discard approximately a third of the shipping water. Replace it with water from your aquarium or quarantine tank.
3) Wait 15 minutes and repeat Step #2 (Repeat again if you wish.)
4) Pour the contents of the shipping bag through a soft net into the bucket, catching the specimen in the net and then releasing it into your aquarium or quarantine tank. (Place by hand if appropriate).
5)Discard the shipping water.

He goes on to mention that a drip can be used instead of manually replacing 1/3 of the water. So now you know where I learned to acclimate, and never have I ever seen anything about acclimating for two hours. Secondly, I didn't realize that urchins were considered sessile inverts, I always assumed that since they can move around they would be considered motile. Lastly, he hasn't lost any spines at all. They are all just drooping down, they're still attached.

Lev F.
02/12/2006, 03:01 PM
fishman is right, it's reccomended you drip for about an hour or two. Urchins are not sessile, they're motile. He's probably going to pull through, he might be staying in one spot because they're nocturnal and come out mostly at night. Check at night to see if he's out. Good Luck! :D

fishman805
02/12/2006, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6724356#post6724356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by callmedrlove
First off, I learned to acclimate from a book called The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by author Bob Fenner. And I quote:

1) Place the shipping bag upright in a tub or bucket and cut open the top. Be sure the bag can't topple over.
2) Carefully dip out and discard approximately a third of the shipping water. Replace it with water from your aquarium or quarantine tank.
3) Wait 15 minutes and repeat Step #2 (Repeat again if you wish.)
4) Pour the contents of the shipping bag through a soft net into the bucket, catching the specimen in the net and then releasing it into your aquarium or quarantine tank. (Place by hand if appropriate).
5)Discard the shipping water.

He goes on to mention that a drip can be used instead of manually replacing 1/3 of the water. So now you know where I learned to acclimate, and never have I ever seen anything about acclimating for two hours. Secondly, I didn't realize that urchins were considered sessile inverts, I always assumed that since they can move around they would be considered motile. Lastly, he hasn't lost any spines at all. They are all just drooping down, they're still attached.

Thanks for educating me..... ;) When you go to places like Saltwaterfish.com and many other online vendor sites, you will see where I get my 2-3 hour "drip" acclimation info from ... and also it's been "my" experience and that shared by others to "drip" acclimate... after all, these are not FW creatures we're dealing with... By "sesile" inverts I was mearly lumping everything together and phrasing it as such.... So.... fish,sesile & motile inverts should be acclimated using the drip method after stabalizing the temp in the shipping bag to your tanks temp.... Now we're clear ...??

By the way, about the only creature that I've seen where no acclimation ( other than temp ) was recommended was on "some" anemones....

I hope your urchin recovers .... I've kept urchins in the past ( got rid of them when they threatened my corals and ate too much of my coraline algae ) and have never seen them ( that type ) with drooping spines....

Bob

EmergencyDpt
02/12/2006, 07:17 PM
Maybe you can give him mouth to mouth or chest compressions...
LOL.
I doubt there is anything you can do other than watching him and pulling him out if he dies.

I have a tuxedo urchin that spends his days moving things around the tank for me. Quite the remodeler.

dnjan
02/12/2006, 07:26 PM
I have never acclimated my urchins for 2 hours. 45-minutes max (counting the 15-minute temperature acclimation). And I have had these two for years.

I suspect your urchin is just adjusting to a new physical environment. Give him a few days.

callmedrlove
02/12/2006, 07:59 PM
I wasn't trying to educate you, you asked where I learned to acclimate, and I answered. Also, I did "drip" acclimate. I just dripped a little faster than you I suppose. He didn't move around last night, but we'll see what happens tonight.