PDA

View Full Version : U.V. Sterilizer..good or bad ?

charles6299
02/12/2006, 07:27 PM
who uses a uv sterilizer and see's the benefits ?
who doesn't use one and why not ?
i am currently building up my sump and i plan for the time being, putting in a UV sterilizer w/ a mag 3 in my sump w/ the return back into the sump....
i would like to hear the debate !

Live_Rock'r
02/12/2006, 07:36 PM
I have one that I have taken off my tank. I used it to fight off a bout of ich about a year and half ago. I would like to think that it helped but I just had too much plumbing going on and wanted to simplify things on my system so I removed it and a pump. I think if all is well with the fish, it's of no use. But I guess if you are going through a battle of ich, adding a new fish or starting up a tank it might be a good safeguard especially if you are like me. No matter how many times people tell me to quarantine and the reasons behind it, I still take the chance.

xtrstangx
02/12/2006, 07:50 PM
Some of the BB guys use them because they help break down big organic compounds into smaller organic compounds. The smaller organic compounds can then be removed by the skimmer more easily than the bigger compounds.

jpfelix
02/12/2006, 07:58 PM
they can really help to keep your water cystal clear. just make sure you have a properly sized one for your needs. the uv destroys cells if they are exposed long enough. i've used them on fw but, prefer to have the protists in my sw.

vanmo92
02/12/2006, 09:03 PM
I love mine. I thought my water was clear before but after i got it i saw a huge difference. I definetly recomend one for al saltwater tanks. I love the coralife turbo twist. i recomend getting one.

BlueYonder
02/13/2006, 07:55 AM
UV=No algae+no ich

eckrynock
02/13/2006, 08:11 AM
Quarantine = no ich
Good skimmer = no algae
UV = killing beneficial bacteria

Costly UV bulbs need to be replaced often to maintain peak performance. Since you are building a reef tank, much better to leave the UV out of the equation.