PDA

View Full Version : Best Method

UnderwaterExotic
02/12/2006, 08:18 PM
What is the best method of removal of bristleworms? I just saw why my new golden teardrop is dead! I am pi....!

iCam
02/12/2006, 08:19 PM
I doubt that the bristleworms were the cause of your clam's death.

More than likely, your clam had already died or was on the way out, and the bristleworms were just cleaning up.

Amphiprion
02/12/2006, 08:22 PM
I agree.

UnderwaterExotic
02/12/2006, 08:26 PM
It was fine, and then 3 days ago i woke up and it looked terrible! It was all of a sudden!

Brandon's Reef
02/12/2006, 08:27 PM
Coralbanded shrimp will eat them

UnderwaterExotic
02/12/2006, 08:28 PM
I read that but i also read that CB shrimp will also tear into anemones and coral also! We cant have that!

Spuds725
02/12/2006, 08:33 PM
Ditto...

YOu will never rid the tank of them all anyway-- they will adjust to the amount of your tanks detritus.

I thought i had a problem with them a few years ago (long before I learned of reef central or other message boards)-- a LFS told me Pseudochromis' (dottybacks) would eat them.. so I bought one.. I've never seen him eat one but it is a cool fish...

Most dottybacks are agressive... I have an Orchid Dottyback which are supposed to be the least aggressive... mine is a total wimp (he is the tank whipping boy)..... After 2 years with him in the tank i still have plenty of bristleworms... IMO they (the worms) are not aggressive... they might "attack" a fish in distress if its lying on the bottom (only because they think it is dead) but won't attack a healthy one

UnderwaterExotic
02/12/2006, 08:34 PM
What about clams?:lol:

steve the plumb
02/12/2006, 09:01 PM
Arrow crabs eat bristle worms.I have had 4 clams die on me.They never last more than 2 months.Seems one of my fish was picking on them eventually they clos up and die.I think it was my flame angel but I found it was hard trying to see him do it.

integlikewhoa
02/12/2006, 09:23 PM
I have a flame angel in my tank and i had a clam dye after doing great for a few months. Damn maybe it was him. But anyhow the bristles are fine leave them in.

iCam
02/12/2006, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6727102#post6727102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve the plumb
Arrow crabs eat bristle worms.I have had 4 clams die on me.They never last more than 2 months.Seems one of my fish was picking on them eventually they clos up and die.I think it was my flame angel but I found it was hard trying to see him do it.

I don't think it would be wise to put an arrow crab in a reef.

corals b 4 bills
02/12/2006, 09:48 PM
I bought one about 1 month ago to control bristle worms I have a bunch of small ones that came with my live rock. Every morning for a week straight I saw a worm in his claws, SWEET! Life is good when a plan works.

bhdmc
02/13/2006, 01:25 PM
I had success with Coralife's bristle worm trap.

REV
02/13/2006, 01:30 PM
I got a copperband butterfly that would eat them. It may be a bit unusual, but it was pretty cool to watch!

REV
02/13/2006, 01:32 PM
Although, I don't think you should worry with trying to get rid of them all. They are good scavengers... If you feed heavily they will find alot of food and multiply like rabbits!

rustybucket145
02/13/2006, 03:47 PM
Here is a diagram of a trap that I made. I didn't have much success with the store bought traps but this one worked great and brought my population under control. Like some others have said, having some bristleworms is ok, but in my opinion having thousands of them is unacceptable.

http://valdostaadsonline.com/fish/Graphic1.jpg

this trap allows you to siphon the worms out of the tank without disturbing the tank or the bait.

If the pic looks small hover your mouse over the bottom right of the image and then click on the toggle icon.