PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser Reactor and / or Calcium Reactor !?

zurk666
02/12/2006, 10:22 PM
I've been doing some research on the internet, about Calcium Reactors and Kalkwasser Reactors and can't find a concrete answer to my question:
Kalkwasser Reactor and Calcium Reactor or just one of them !?
A Calcium Reactor will add calcium to the water, but, it can also lower the PH, trough the CO2.
With Kalkwasser, the alkalinity would rise, and increase the PH, reducing at same time the phosphates (!?).
Kalk, would also add calcium, but, not higher than 400 p.p.m.; in the other and, Calcium Reactor can add higher concentrations of calcium.
So, the complement, would be the best thing to do. Right ?
Calcium Reactor - adds calcium
Kalk - adds calcium + rises PH + rises alkalinity

Another problem. Adding kalkwasser as to be done in a very cautious way; I mean, the 'dust' of the Kalk, can't get in the aquarium, just the water already mixed, but, 'dust' free ?

The preparation (Kalk) only lasts for 5 days (top), ever if 100Lts is made, by the 5th day, it runs out of 'vality).

It's better to add the Kalk, drop-by-drop, instead of using reactors and the reposition system to inject lots of kalk at the same time.
Well, it's a too big question, already.
Any help is welcomed.
Thanks

Zurk

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/13/2006, 07:23 AM
For a system where it is adequate to meet the demands (not a heavy SPS tank), I prefer limewater (kalkwasser) from a still reservoir (not a reactor).

Many folks using a CaCO3/CO2 reactor also add limewater to keep the pH from getting too low.

This article compares the methods more:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

This article explains the limewater us in detail:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

steve the plumb
02/13/2006, 12:25 PM
I add kalk using an auto top off unit.I also use a dosing unit to dose both of randys formulas.The kalk isn't enough to maintain my calcium needs.It helps maintain my ph at 8.1-8.3.My ph was at 7.98 before I started dripping.I found its less expensive method than buying a reactor