PDA

View Full Version : Question on setting up ecosystem using Miracle Mud

hchang526
02/13/2006, 05:31 AM
Hi All,

After reading a lot of articles about MM, I have increased my knowledge about the Miracle Mud.?However, I have some technical problems and cannot be solved.?Therefore, I am seeking all of your suggestions so that I can start my plan.

Here are my plan NEW tank information (Only calculate the capacity):
Main Tank : 36Width) x 20(Depth) x 20(Height) --> Around 190 Lite/ 49Gal
Sump: 16(Width) x 14(Depth) x 20(Height)
Lamp : Metal Halies 250W (14,000K)

New Plan water flow :
Water flow from Display tank into first chamber of the sump, then flow into second chamber (which has MM in it). Then flow into 3rd chamber and using external pump to cooler and finally, back to main tank.

The following are my questions about :
1) I will planning to place 20lbs miracle mud inside my sump.?I want to know the water flow over the miracle mud inside the sump should high, medium or even need stable water flow??This is my main problem before applying MM. As I worry about using strong water flow will blow those Miracle Mud into display tank¡CAlso, worry about strong water flow and make the plant on top of the MM difficult to absorb NO3 and other nuritents.

2) I will use DSB (4 inches) and 80-100lbs LR in the main tank.?Do I still need the Skimmer in sump (actually, I want give it up)?

3) Do I need strong light (using T5HO or Metal Halides) for the sump as I will put more plant in it?

4) From_ecosystemacquirsm.com web site referenc diagram, it displays that Bio-Ball should be used for the 1st and last chamber.?What is its purpose??Will the bio-ball increase the NO3??Do I still need the Bio-ball or I can give it up?

Thanks all of your help.