PDA

View Full Version : yellow leather not doing well

goulding.c
02/13/2006, 08:10 AM
My new yellow leather coral that I got about 5 days ago has not looked its best. I just moved it into a shady spot thinking to much light, when I moved it this milky looking substance started to come out all around the edge of it. Any ideas? Should it be fed anything. All other corals look great water test ok calcium 500 alk 2.5 meq litre ph 8.1 no amonia or anything else. lights are 3 250 mh 20ks and 2 96 watt blue pcs and 2 96 watt 10k pcs. Thanks

tank 125 gal with 55 sump
other corals:
candy coral
lots of growing pulsing zenia
green brain
button polyps
growing grreen star polyps
pink tip anenome sp?
they have all been there for over a year and doing great, just this new leather is having trouble, this morning it was slumped over in its new spot. I thought the leathers were pretty easy corals. Am I wrong?

goulding.c
02/13/2006, 08:49 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88179leather_2.jpg

goulding.c
02/13/2006, 08:50 AM
Here are some pics

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88179leather_1.jpg

lastin1
02/13/2006, 04:21 PM
Has it been like that for 5 days? Mine seems to cycle between that and full extension throughtout the day. I don't know why it does that. Maybe too much light or something bothering it but it looks healthy when it's extended and growing relatively fast over the year or so that I've had it.

goulding.c
02/13/2006, 05:59 PM
It was looking about half extended for 4 days since I got it. I then moved it to the spot you see thinking it may be getting burned by the light because it was high up on the rock. As soon as I picked it up this milky substance started squirting out from it. Loked like milk. I sat it right there and this morning it was slumped over like you see. I am baffled. I was hoping this guy would be a easy one. But I guess not. It is in a slow current area, do you think I should put it in an area to get blasted with water flow? Or put a power head near it? Thanks

lastin1
02/14/2006, 05:34 PM
I read somewhere that this is one of the harder coral to keep. Mine is high up on the rocks with 440 watts of VHO. It is near a powerhead, but not directly in the flow. Mine has never slumped over for more than a few hours but when it does, it looks just like your picture. Try moving it to a higher flow area and see what happens. Good luck.

Shark Bait100
02/14/2006, 06:54 PM
I agree with lastin, move the coral to a place with higher flow. This coral also likes alot of light. I frag mine twice and has never slumped over like that. I have two in my tank, one up high and one on the sand bed. normally, i keep it low, but i just fragged it, and the clown fish was hosting in it, so i wanted to give the coral sometime alone to heal.

goulding.c
02/14/2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks, I will move it tonight to high flow and see hoe it does.

CG

goulding.c
02/16/2006, 03:07 PM
Well there has been no change in the higher flow area. The coral is totally slumped over and a few small spots are turning black. Do you think I should pitch this thing before it gets worse or try moving it again?