PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have theories on why Sally light foot crab died after 5 days?

chris_r11
02/13/2006, 12:27 PM
OK,

So we decided to get the 60 gallon back into shape. We moved it to where it looks better in the house and did about a 30% water change.

Coraline is growing again, 4 new compact 94 w lights, etc.

We take some water to the local fish store, they test it and say the water is perfect. So, we get a couple clowns and a sally light foot crab.

First couple days, I see that the crab is eating the frozen brine well, 5 days after we get him home, he is lying on his back being eaten by the hermits and the snails and I am 99% sure it is not a molt.

I take water back to the store to be tested and they test for lots of things. I don't remember the exact numbers, but my salinity was about .002 high and my ph was 8.1 or 8.2. Can't remember. Copper 0, ammonia and nitrates and nitrites are 0. He said he could not come up with anyt reason why it died.

Do you have any ideas on what to check for? I have always had troubles with crabs, they always seem to die, but my hermits and snails and brittle star have been in there for 10 years - same ones.

Another thing that happened, after the crab was one of the tank raised clowns was getting thin and not eating. Asked the fish store what could be wrong and they said they feed their fish frozed miyaki (???) shrimp and not brine because it is way better? I bought that and the other remaning one is looking much better and eating well.

Thanks for any ideas.

Chris

BlackOnyx
02/13/2006, 12:52 PM
problems molting? I wouldnt get another thou heard they can be real bad news.

chris_r11
02/13/2006, 12:57 PM
Hmm,

Any suggestions on another type of crab to get that is inexpensive - considering my track record with crabs and shrimp? I kind of want to make sure that there is nothing else going on in there and I really don't know where to start.

We had peppermint shrimp to clean up the aipasta (sorry spelling is probably wrong) and when they were all gone, the shrimp kind of went, too - they were in there for about a year.

Thanks,

Chris

BlackOnyx
02/13/2006, 01:15 PM
I would get a pom pom crab. You wont see him til he gets bigger or comfy. he's not agressive he wants to be left alone.