PDA

View Full Version : starter SPS...suggestions please

jb_46
02/13/2006, 01:00 PM
I am just starting to get into SPS and would love to see some pinks/purples/blues in my tank.

I keep calcium levels at about 420-460 and alk at 8-10 dKH, S.G. is at 1.025. I run a 150W HQI and 130 PC actinic, it's all in one fixture.

I bought a small montipora frag that is green, it seems to have desent polyp extension so far and when you look close the polyps are bright green, but sitting back from the tank it still has a creamy/tan colour.

I've thought about a pink stylophora, or another green pavona cactus coral, and a monti. cap. (pink/purple if possible). Do those sound like good choices or are there other species that would be better to start out with?

Also, what kind of flow do I need. I have aabout 400GPH from one hagen powerhead and about 300GPH from a maxijet. I also run an aqua C remora HOB skimmer. Should I point the PH right on the SPS or would you reccomend a seio 820 or something? I only have a 30" long 36G bowfront.

I hope I gave the right information so I can get some help!

szwab
02/13/2006, 01:08 PM
strong direct laminar flow (powerhead) is not recomended to be directly a coral. The seio's would give you a more disperesed flow. I would get a bit more flow in the tank IMO.
As far as corals I would recomend a monti cap there are purple ones :)
a green bali slimmer they are pretty hardy, or a stag. the pavona would also be a good choice. If you can find someone with frags in your area it's a good way to get into acros.

examiner
02/13/2006, 01:09 PM
Monti digis come in several common colors, are are fairly easy to keep. Same goes w/ caps.

The common "green slimer" is something you can probably get fairly cheap and has a time-tested reputation for retaining color and rapid growth. No matter what you choose, make every effort to go w/ tank raised frags.

More flow wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't point a powerhead directly at any SPS.

If you can keep the parameters you mentioned above stable (along with temp, which you didn't mention), you should be OK.
Keep your fish load low, maintain a regular water change schedule, watch your phosphate inputs, and welcome to the addictive world of SPS!

emoutz
02/13/2006, 01:34 PM
My green slimer died - no idea why. All my montis (cap, digitata, and unknown blue encrusting) are doing great though. Id say away from the slimer!

zimmy1979
02/13/2006, 04:44 PM
they are charging at my LFS $200 USD for a digitata. I really want one but man..$200? ...Do you guys get yours online or from your LFS? Any good places online you guys know about? I am in Southern California (Los Angeles area).

Dan Thrash
02/13/2006, 04:59 PM
check the for sale forum here or many of the Reef Central sponser sites

gibbswagon
02/13/2006, 05:29 PM
birdsnest does very well and looks great

piranhaking
02/13/2006, 10:36 PM
you should be able to get a frag of digitata for about $30 or so plus shiping
i would check for an aquarium club around you and see about getting a frag from someone there
all my corals but one came from a member of our aquarium club. and i got them CHEAP even compared to online frags.

Alaskan Reefer
02/14/2006, 12:00 AM
My first SPS was a small yellow turbinaria that has quadrupled in size. Very tolerant to less than perfect water (although it sure thrives these days in closer to perfect) and doesn't necessarily need the sun directly above it to prosper in a tank. Not the color you're looking for, but for a beginner SPS, this is a good one...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/aarongray/yellowturbinaria.jpg