PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problems w/Ocean Nutrition foods

Rare Angels
02/13/2006, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone,

I have seen alot of posts recommending the various Ocean nutrition frozen foods, Formula I and II, VHP, etc.

Well, none of the species I have will touch Formula II and VHP. They might take some Formula I but not much. A recent trend I have been noticing in these foods is that they are dry and like rubber when purchased. I have tried several different stores to make sure I didn't get a bad batch but nothing changes. Every now and then I might get some Formula that nice and soft and the fish will eat some of it.

Just wanted to know if this is what other people are seeing or if I am just getting bad food. My fish eat, PE mysis, beefheart, shaved raw shrimp, etc much better then any of the "recommended" foods.

Thanks for the help
Dave

Fishboy42
02/13/2006, 04:24 PM
I used to love ocean nutrition for all of my fish, but they have been playing with the "formulas" lately (last 2 years maybe?), and lots of my fish (including several of my clown pairs that are not picky at all) have started to refuse all formula foods.

I talked to their representatives at MACNA, and they confirmed the recipe changes / experiments. It smells and feels different to me than it used to (like the rubber you describe), so I'm sure the fish are picking up on the changes as well.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. I've bought the food from three sources to check for bad batches or bad handling, and while the consistancy of the food varied, the feeding response was always poor. For now I'm using these foods mostly for a huge orbicularis batfish that eats anything... I'd be interested to hear others' experiences as well.

-Matt

MarinaP
02/13/2006, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6732935#post6732935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishboy42
I'd be interested to hear others' experiences as well.

Matt,

Same here.

None of my clowns would touch F1,2 and VHP (well, at least anemones can eat in peace :p ) Cubes are hated the most, ground version comes in as a close second.

I stopped feeding raw table shrimp to my guys and gals.

Fishboy42
02/13/2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Marina, very interesting. I do have some pairs that love F1 pellets but don't care for F1 cubes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6734146#post6734146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarinaP

I stopped feeding raw table shrimp to my guys and gals.

May I ask why you stopped? (or are you cooking them now? :p I used to feed chopped table shrimp heavily (and I still use it occasionally alone and as part (~1/5) of my homemade diet). All the fish really seem to like it. I've heard it can cause egg-binding, but I thought that was only if over-used.

MarinaP
02/13/2006, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6734876#post6734876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishboy42
I've heard it can cause egg-binding, but I thought that was only if over-used.

My gut feeling tells me otherwise :(

Rare Angels
02/14/2006, 08:40 AM
I am glad everyone is seeing this, I thought maybe I was just not getting good batches because of the less then good LFS.

So, what foods have you been going to instead? Like I said I have been using PE mysis the most. I will lay off the raw shrimp for now after Marina's comments but I would like to find more variety for them in frozen foods.

I've been traveling alot lately and my wife needs some foods that are quick and easy for her to feed the fish with. I try to keep her away from the flake and dry as much as possible. :)

Thanks for you help
Dave

MarinaP
02/14/2006, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6737906#post6737906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rare Angels

So, what foods have you been going to instead?

Mostly PE, but also OSI Spirulina and ON enriched BS (that works like an aphrodisiac) + CP daily.