PDA

View Full Version : How important is mechanical filtration?

HBtank
02/13/2006, 05:47 PM
After years of freshwater it is hard to escape the general concept of trying to keep debris suspended and filtering it out mechanically.

But in SW I just do not see where this fits as much.

How important is it and how many of you use it?

It seems once I have my system setup the way I want it, I will only have any if I choose to add a filter sock or I am running my canister at the time.

And it also seems that many benificial pods n' such could be filtered out when used 24/7?

So is it really needed at all?

AllenFord_SC
02/13/2006, 05:52 PM
Most mechanical filtration is provided by the protein skimmer. Also the use of micron socks and the occasional use of a canister filter running carbon are common forms.

Fast Fred
02/13/2006, 05:59 PM
I'm sure there are varying opinions on this subject. Here's mine: In my 125g reef, I have two built-in overflows. One overflow feeds into a filter that I made that contains 100 micro filter felt and carbon. The other overflow feeds into my refugium. I personally like the idea that the small particles get filtered out. I don't find many pods, if any, in the filter felt.

One caution about the filter though, you don't want it to stay in the tank long enough so that it becomes biological. I change my felt about once a week, as that's about how long it takes to become semi-clogged.

dead beat reef
02/14/2006, 12:25 AM
Fresh or salt crud is crud remove it form your tank. 2 or 3 times
a week I shut down the main pump and hook up a canister
filter add a power head and use a turkey baister to blow the
junk off the rock. The fish and corals look at it as free food. Soon
the rock will be so clean you wont feel the need to do this.......
No junk in the trunk. G.F.I. dbr

mg426
02/14/2006, 03:00 AM
That about sums it up