PDA

View Full Version : what gets along with clowns

animlamann
02/13/2006, 08:55 PM
even though i know most clowns are pretty much community fish, what would be the best componets for my 29 gal semi reef tank?? i have 2 false percs and a couple of corals w/ a lta. which fish would be the best and would not over-grow the tank and be best with my clowns?

Chad Vossen
02/14/2006, 09:02 PM
what kind of clowns? some clowns can be just mean while others are gentle

i keep a fire goby with my pair of false percs, and a pair of black mollies (my cycle fish, i still have them cuz they eating my hair algae)

Fred_J
02/24/2006, 11:48 AM
Look Here (http://www.peteducation.com/general.cfm?cls=16&static_pagesid=18) for fish compatibility chart.
Fred

DJ88©
02/24/2006, 06:45 PM
[moved]

Alaskan Reefer
02/24/2006, 07:06 PM
False percs should be fine with any other community fish. It's the maroons that are hell on wheels. :)

unsane
02/24/2006, 07:14 PM
Six Line wrasse no doubt!!!

johnydart
02/24/2006, 10:12 PM
what gets along with clowns?
Mimes?

reefD
02/24/2006, 10:32 PM
honestly they all can be mean. if you have a pair they may eventually want to spawn...prior to doing this they will search out anything out of the ordinary. and they will attack without end. this can occur for months before actually first spawn. especially if you add fish alot/often. the calm of no change will bring on the first spawn but only with long periods of no change. after ward they will be less pickey. anyways most of the time....most fish are cool with clowns considering predators first they are a community REEF fish in theory.lol

MrChico
02/24/2006, 10:37 PM
It's the maroons that are hell on wheels.

I would like very much to get one of these but everyones says they are ruthless but what fish will they kill... tangs?, gobies?, chromis?, inverts?

In other word what fish have your maroons killed or even injured other than other clowns?

reefD
02/24/2006, 10:43 PM
not that bad but issue is that they can be the biggest of all clowns and thus attack with death results. when a two inch perc nips at a new commer they do minor damage...but a big or growingly strong tomato/ maroon nips a fin or even a puncter results on the fish..........basically if you keep them social from go they can be nice......in any case they are jerks with experience.

Fred_J
02/25/2006, 07:48 AM
I've had my maroon for about 9 months, he is starting to leave his RBTA, but has not bothered anyone yet. He is getting real big. Until the last month he never was more than 3-4 inches from the RBTA. I think something (no food?) may have happened when I was out of town. Tanksitter was new.
Fred

asphaltpilot
02/28/2006, 08:20 AM
Tangs (yellow and hippo) seem to get along with clowns. My clowns also got along great with pigmy angels.