PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of fish?

LaDonaDorada
02/14/2006, 02:09 AM
I have found alot of web sites, (many thanks to RC) on keeping fish, treating fish, feeding fish, compatibly, hitcher hickers ect. Does anyone know of any sites that give the longevity of fish we all so love. It would be helpful if they gave life span in the wild or in captivity.

Fred_J
02/17/2006, 03:27 AM
Most of the fish have natural life spans measured in decades. I think that's the problem with any website that may show lifespans. 30 or 40 years ago it was thought the fish had very short life spans. I have not checked fishbase.org, it may help.
Fred

Anthony Calfo
02/17/2006, 07:25 PM
Tetra's 'Marine Encyclopedia" by Dick Mills (recently reissued by Red Sea) has short list of longevity for fishes in home aquaria versus public aquaria...

Seascope also had an article many years back (Frakes I think penned it) about longevity records set by folks such as the Nancy aquarium in France.

But yes... many have the potential of decades.

Anemonefishes over 30 years... large angels well over 20 years... and many predatory fishes much longer.

To say that most med/lg reef fishes used in the hobby should live at least 10 years would be an understatement IMO

You might also try http://scholar.google.com for a peek into the academic archives with strategic keyword searches

LaDonaDorada
02/17/2006, 09:22 PM
any idea if those books or sites talk about inverts as well?