PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done?

compulou
02/14/2006, 08:32 AM
Hi all, I had to make a small stand and attached it to the back of my big stand as I'm trying to fit everything inside the stand but there isn't enough room. So like I said I made a small stand and attached it to the back of my tank stand and there is where I'll place my AquaC 120, eventually a calcium reactor and it's where two of my three pumps will go. My Mag 7 CL pump and my Mag 5 Sump/Fuge/Return pump.

***My question is is it ok to place the return pump about 6 inches above the bottom of the sump and just behind the sump? As the pump will be having to pick up the water from the sump and send it up to the return. Is this possible?***

I've seen everyone place their return pumps level with the sump. I would post a pic but it's too big. I just paid for the premium membership and should be able to post a pic soon. BUELLER, BUELLER, anyone, anyone???

hehe

compulou
02/14/2006, 10:14 AM
BUMP... Anyone??? Someone must know if I can run the pump like this?

Entropy
02/14/2006, 10:30 AM
IMO it would be ok to setup the pump like that as long as the pump is below the water level in the sump. If you set it up higher the pump will more than likely not reprime in the event of a power failure. The pump must be below the water line in the sump so it can reprime.

BurntOutReefer
02/14/2006, 10:31 AM
I dont think its a good idea, as the pump now will not only have to push the water, but will have to pull it also...increase in head

tgreene
02/14/2006, 10:32 AM
Unless the water level will always remain well above the pump intake, you're asking for a serious siphoning issue that could potentially burn up your pump on a restart, if the power ever goes out.

The reason that pumps are at or BELOW the sump, is to make sure there is always a constant supply of intake water.

BurntOutReefer
02/14/2006, 11:36 AM
actually....the reason pumps are at or below water level is that they are all centrifugal pumps..they cannot pull water upwards, but push water upwards....with the height (head) depending on design of the pump.