PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae and Maxi-Jets (Bad combo)

acceler8
02/14/2006, 11:08 AM
I'm fighting a hair algae outbreak:mad: At least I am finally starting to win the battle. Don't bother to ask about my params, etc. This is a question about power heads.

Now that the hair algae is breaking up, it is getting sucked into my power heads and seizing them up. They've stopped on me several times now, once overnight, and once while I was at work. Now my tank is looking sickly due to 0 flow and no protein skimmer operation. How can I keep my Power Heads running? It only takes 20 minuets to clean them out, but the problem is the timing.

TIA

minimalist
02/14/2006, 11:23 AM
Buy the sponge attachment that fits over the MJ intake.

Amphiprion
02/14/2006, 11:45 AM
Like minimalist said, buy the sponge attachment and clean it daily to remove as much as possible, as often as possible.

acceler8
02/15/2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! I've put a sponge on two of my PH, and it works great. The only issue now, is my Remora Protein Skimmer pump, also a Maxi-Jet. It uses the standard intake, and there is no room for anything else. The end of the intake is 1/4" from the aquarium glass. I suppose I can continue to clean that one every 8 ~ 10 hours, but I'd prefer a different solution.

Thanks!

minimalist
02/15/2006, 08:04 PM
Get some fine netting and attach it with a rubberband. It's not pretty, but it works.

goldeneyeretrie
02/15/2006, 10:08 PM
Will a whisper bag fit over it?