PDA

View Full Version : Micro bubbles in the Display Tank

JohnSiesta
02/14/2006, 11:24 AM
Recently I have been getting a daily dose of cyano & micro bubbles on the LR and sand bed.
I have three tanks plumbed together. I have a Deltec APF600 in a 30 gallon sump plumbed into a 40 gallon refugium plumbed into my 90 gallon display. It's all on one level in the basement. All the bulkheads are approx 2" under the water line. There's 1.5" bulkhead from the display to the sump, two between the sump-refugium and one back to the display. I use an 802 powerhead to push water back into the display and gravity pulls water form the display back into the sump. I'm using two 802's in the display plus a 301 powerhead.
In late December I changed my MH bulbs from ARC 250w 20k to Ushio 250w 10k. I also changed my return from the refugium to the 802 powerhead from a 302. Since that time I have been getting red cyano and micro bubbles on the sand and rock; so I'm in the tank almost daily scrubbing around with the toothbrush.
Any advice or ideas?

hutch1814
02/16/2006, 06:51 PM
that red algae doesnt grow in a place that theres a current and since you had just replaced your lights your tank is adjusting to it nothin to worry about just stay on it maybe get a bigger clean up crew couple snails or crabs.

szwab
02/16/2006, 08:02 PM
sounds like either a nutrient or phosphate problem the new equipment wouldn't have caused it but the new light would help it along once started. The algea is creating the bubbles. I'd check your nitrate and phos. levels. a water change may help but most likely you need to cut back on feeding and or what and how much.