PDA

View Full Version : acrylic tanks

drtomas
02/14/2006, 03:44 PM
I am planning to set up my first salt water aquarium. I intend to purchase a 180 gal tank and I am leaning towards acrylic. While I understand that the main down side of acrylic is that it scratches easily, the only person I have talked with who owns an acrylic tank has told me that it doesn't have any scratches after 7 years. Is this typical? I'd like to hear from other acrylic tank owners about their experiences.

Thanks.

john37
02/14/2006, 04:04 PM
your friend is suuuper careful then. No, it's not typical.
i'm starting a new 225 gal and i went w/front side starphire glass mainly for the scratching issue..

WayneL333
02/14/2006, 04:18 PM
hmmm....that is highly rare. In fact, I would bet serious money that I would be able to find a scratch on his tank after 7 years....

vonodie1
02/14/2006, 04:53 PM
I have a 55 gallon freshwater acrylic tank, in it has actual rock for hiding and such. I have only had it going on 2 years.

If I have any scratches on this tank I am unaware of them; other than the ones on the bottom from the rocks.

I just purchased a 180 acrylic myself, so that I can start a saltwater tank. Of course, I have had it for about a month, it is still wrapped and strapped on the pallet it was delivered on.

HTH

Dubbin1
02/14/2006, 05:02 PM
I will never again own another acrylic tank. Sure it is nice and clear but it takes nothing to scratch it.

mike89t
02/14/2006, 05:18 PM
I've had my Acrylic tank up for about 4 months and already have scratches.

Most came from my "Acrylic safe" Kent scraper. :mad2:

A few came from aquascaping.

I haven't had time to remove them yet. Not really in any hurry as you can barely see them.

vonodie1
02/14/2006, 05:28 PM
I use an acrylic safe mag float and/or paper towel on my 55 freshwater, and will try the mag float on the 180 salt once it is set up. (although I do not think I will leave it hanging on the tank, as the stories I have read sound like doing so can cause things to grow on it and cause scratches).

Hopefully, I can keep scratches to a minimum on the 180, as I have on the 55.

mike89t
02/14/2006, 05:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6741846#post6741846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vonodie1
I use an acrylic safe mag float and/or paper towel on my 55 freshwater, and will try the mag float on the 180 salt once it is set up. (although I do not think I will leave it hanging on the tank, as the stories I have read sound like doing so can cause things to grow on it and cause scratches).

Hopefully, I can keep scratches to a minimum on the 180, as I have on the 55.

using paper towels on Acrylic isn't a good idea. Some paper towels will cause microscopic scratches that over time will cause a haze to appear. I use a cloth diaper (Never used by baby) :rollface: and it works great. I also use Plexus®. It really puts a shine on the acrylic and helps protect it.

This is from Tenecor:
Acrylic should always be cleaned with a good quality soft cloth. Special polishing clothes are available from Tenecor and are the best guarantee of a lasting finish. As a substitute, a soft cotton cloth or high grade paper towel can be used occasionally. DO NOT use commercial grade paper towels or newsprint.

vonodie1
02/14/2006, 05:55 PM
I should re-phase that...I use the mag float and/or the paper towel (wet) on the inside of my freshwater (I will NOT use a papertowel in the saltwater). I use a soft terry cloth towel on the outside; the same ones that I use on my tanning bed acrylic.

Hope that makes more sense.

integlikewhoa
02/14/2006, 06:22 PM
Damn i use paper towles on my acrylic. I did have a rock slide once. But scratchs can be removed very easly so it dont stop me from owning an acrylic.