PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Striped Maroon

Maybaer
02/14/2006, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else have a real aggressive Yellow Striped Maroon clown? I tried to place a green star polyp on a rock not too far from the condy that he hosts. It was about 4 inches away. I kept finding it at the bottom of the tank. I switched it with a mushroom and all was fine. However, I happened to walk by just as a turbin snail got too close. The clown shot out of his anenome and head butted the snail so hard that it hit the front of the tank.

gibbswagon
02/14/2006, 04:32 PM
thats funny

Dubbin1
02/14/2006, 04:37 PM
One of mine will move anything that I put close to its anemone. You would be surprised at how big of a rock it can push to the ground.

JER-Z
02/14/2006, 04:40 PM
i heard they are pretty aggressive/mean...I would like to know to what extent...

They are beautiful clowns, but i am concerned they may be TOO aggressive towards tankmates. Have any of you GSM owners had any issues w/ these guys bullying tank mates?

Maybaer
02/14/2006, 04:44 PM
Mine is real mellow with other fish but he will head butt my hand when I feed the anenome. Fortunately the star polyp recovered the next morning and is in full bloom.

chrismcfc
02/15/2006, 10:22 AM
i added my pair as the second fish in the tank after some chromis.
Very nice fish but can be a bit of a pain with some other fish, (usually the flasher wrasse or chromis), the upside is they are fairly slow compaired to the other fish in the tank, so don't cause any trouble. If anything other fish torment them first. All the aggression is from the female and is usually directed at my hand. When aquascaping she usually tries to rearrange it the way she wants it, (resting her nose on it and thrashing her tail, very entertaining :p). Wouldn't swap them for any other clown, they seem to have a little more personality, and in my experience will host anything:cool:

REV
02/15/2006, 10:27 AM
Get some video. You could win $10,000! lol

zivic2play
02/15/2006, 10:53 AM
Do they get aggressive if they have an anemone to host? My tank doesn't have an anemone, but it does make its home in my hammer coral colony. I've had mine for a year and the only aggression it shows is towards my 6-line.

chrismcfc
02/16/2006, 03:00 AM
When my pair were on hold (for about 6 weeks) at the LFS, the owner put an anemone in with them and it made the female very aggresive, even attacking her little mate.

This was eventually overcome by continually scaring the female away from it, which in doing so made her seek comfort with the male. After a while of doing this she got the point and let him in to. Now they are perfectly fine with an anemone, but guard it aggressively

Fay
02/16/2006, 03:11 AM
Great fish no problems with other fish but will not let me put corals to close to her Anemone

Alaskan Reefer
02/16/2006, 04:10 AM
Mine lives solo in a 20 hex with live rock. :)

Spuds725
02/16/2006, 04:50 AM
mine (pair) were added back in 2001--- they are fine toward everyone--

it might think the polyps is another anemone-- my female feeds my polyps all the time... I have a LTA that they both ignore

Pandora
02/16/2006, 09:35 AM
They are just territorial fish. If they grow up around other fish, they usually are fine and leave them alone, mine is quite peaceful most of the time towards my flame angel, hogfish, wrasses, dragonet. Add anything even vaguely related to clownfish at a later time though (and by this, I include damsels, since they areall closely related... and forget about another clown!) and they will go nuts! And she does not like it when I move stuff in her "area" around the anemone, she starts swimming frantically like I am killing her young.

DJ88©
02/16/2006, 09:39 AM
Used to have one that would rip hair out of my hand and parade around the tank with it in her mouth.

Happened every time I did ANYTHING in the tank at all as far as new coral or maintenance.

Maroons are something else when it comes to defending thier tanks.

brad23
02/16/2006, 10:23 AM
My GSM is Evil, he wasn't to bad at first but after a few months he started pounding my false perc who now has black spots. My prize Wrasse takes a beating as well. I got a RBTA to see if it would help out and put it over to one side. I have a 75g

He went straight to it and now only defends a area the about 12 inches from RBTA. But I'm still thinking about getting rid of him and getting a pair of true percs.

180Gallon
02/16/2006, 10:58 AM
My maroons are great towards other fish but the female likes to attack me.

davocean
02/16/2006, 12:29 PM
My maroon was so sweet at first. I thought I got so lucky.
Yesterday I came home to a very different animal.
Absoulutely vicious to everyone.
Even with my hand and net in the tank it wouldn't stop fighting.
Made it easy to catch!
Bye-bye maroon!
Anyone w/in driving distance can have it if you act fast.
Otherwise back to lfs