PDA

View Full Version : gorgonians in sps tank?

DMK
02/14/2006, 08:06 PM
i'm thinking about getting a purple photosynthetic gogonian, maybe from dr mac's, to spice up my reef tank. it's mainly sps, w/ a few lps. who has gorgonians, and what's their requirements? any pics would be cool.

wrassie86
02/14/2006, 08:53 PM
I've had the same purple gorg for close to 7 yrs now,fragged it many times.As far as requirements,I do nothing for mine except look at it:) I used to worry that the large amount of shedding they do would harm sps,but I've not seen any damage from it.

chtan
02/14/2006, 09:04 PM
its more likely that the sps would damaged the gorgonian not the other way round ...

I have had photosynthetic gorgonians in all my different reef set-ups and they generally do better with strong flow ....

If you target feed them and put them under strong lighting they do even better ... you will have very good polyp extension

DMK
02/14/2006, 10:21 PM
what do they eat? what is the shedding like? i never knew they shedded.

chtan
02/14/2006, 10:40 PM
shedding occurs so that they can remove unwanted algae .... it protects them from being overrun by algae .... that is why they do better with a strong flow directed at them.

feeding zooplankton (like DT oyster egg) would be good .... but basically, you can feed them the same things you feed to LPS and SPS.

wrassie86
02/14/2006, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6743464#post6743464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chtan
its more likely that the sps would damaged the gorgonian not the other way round ...

I have had photosynthetic gorgonians in all my different reef set-ups and they generally do better with strong flow ....

If you target feed them and put them under strong lighting they do even better ... you will have very good polyp extension

Hmm,never thought of the sps hurting the gorg,But then i've never let them touch either.

I've never target fed mine,but it eats i'm sure when the fish do.

Right on with flow,Mine flops around about 6 inches from a tunze and seems to really enjoy that flow.I have noted that when put in calmer areas polyp extension is not as good.

chtan
Are you the guy i have spoke with in the past about the aquamedic 1000?If so i have few questions for ya.

chtan
02/15/2006, 01:50 AM
Yup .... I think so .... the denitrator 1000 rt? .... In any case, you can ask me most of the stuff about the Aqua Medic equipment as I having been using their stuff as a hobbyist for the last 8 years and I also happen to have dabbled with the aquarium biz so now I represent them in Singapore .... pm if you need to know anything ... if I did not know, I can always ask my principal.

DMK
02/15/2006, 04:56 AM
thanks guys.

chtan
02/15/2006, 07:23 AM
you are most welcome!

ReeferMac
02/15/2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, good advice from all. I've found them to be good barometer's of the tank too... if I come home and my Sea Fan is closed up, I know something's off. It's one of the first one's to show it's displeasure.

- Mac