PDA

View Full Version : Sumps that aren't gravity fed.

chasekwe
02/14/2006, 08:45 PM
Could somebody please tell me how this works? If say the plumbing that goes from the overflow to the sump drops below that sump. Will the pump from the sump return still cause the cycle to complete itself or is something like a second pump required? And if this is the case how does one coordinate the two pumps perfectly?

Thanks.

Lakeside518
02/14/2006, 08:58 PM
You have your overflow most likely a hang on back style unless you have a drilled reef ready tank.?

The water syphons through the overflow through your sump.
You will need a pump that will return the water to the display tank. The pump needs to be sized correctly;) It can't exceed the rating of the overflow.

You need to figure out your head loss calculations if you want to get anal. How much vertical and horizontal pipping, elbows-90's, tees's etc etc. If using flex vinyl tubing head loss is mostly based on vertical height.. Length from pump to return nozzle in display tank.

Lakeside518
02/14/2006, 08:59 PM
All sumps are gravity fed. IMO
Its below the tank. Creating a syphon and you have a return pump. To do exactly that.. Return the water to the display tank.

chasekwe
02/14/2006, 09:06 PM
Oh alright didn't see your second post before I made mine. Thank you.

By the way, what lake are you near in Albany?

Fast Fred
02/14/2006, 09:07 PM
Some refugiums are mounted higher than the tank, say, on a shelf above the tank. They could be considered a sump of sorts. The way this works is pretty much just the reverse of a gravity fed sump - the overflow being in the refugium, and the pump to feed the fuge is in the tank.

The advantage to this is that any pods that may make it to the tank are not chopped up by the pump, and therefore make it to the tank as live food for your fish.

chasekwe
02/14/2006, 09:09 PM
Doing it in reverse, duh... now I feel stupid.

Haha thanks Fred.

Lakeside518
02/14/2006, 09:11 PM
Lakeside - Warners Lake

Fast Fred
02/14/2006, 09:12 PM
Nah, don't feel stupid. As they say - the only stupid questions are the ones never asked.

All the great inventors and innovators are the one's that think outside the box. I'm terrible at this. I can make anything with my hands if I see it first. I would have never figured it out either had I not read about it.

Lakeside518
02/14/2006, 09:14 PM
Agree with Fast Fred;) We all learned from others experiences and knowledge on this site.

RC is a great benefit :) without a doubt

chasekwe
02/14/2006, 09:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6743522#post6743522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lakeside518
Lakeside - Warners Lake

Not exactly Albany now is it?

Heh, I cheat too. I'm in North Greenbush. (then again I can be in downtown Albany in 10 minutes)

Lakeside518
02/14/2006, 09:18 PM
Haha at least I'm Albany county!!! I'm only 20-25 mins away
There are no lakes in Albany, but Albany county there is.