PDA

View Full Version : Newb looking for some opinions..kinda long.

JJ4417
02/14/2006, 11:45 PM
So...I bought my tank, set it up, put in the LR, a mated pair of queen angels, and this clam and let it sit for a couple of days. Should I add the salt now?

Sorry, had to do that for giggles.

My real questions...

This will be my first sw tank and I want to go full reef with LR, sump, fuge, etc. I've read Paletta's new marine aquaruim and the conscientious marine aquarium. Basically I get the gist of it so far. And first off, I won't buy anything alive for a while. I might pick up a tank so I can start working on the stand.

I'm at the point where I am trying to figure out where to put the tank and how big to go. One thing that came up, if you have mh lights on a cycle in the same room as the main tv, has anyone had issues with the light just being too bright in a dark room? You know, watching movies, you want the lights low, the volume up, etc. My original thought was to put the tank in my media niche, right next to the tv, but I see this being a problem. Anyone?

Another silly one so I can get them out of the way. The corner that I am thinking of is the same as my prewired sub-woofer. Anyone know if deep bass sounds from a home theater system has any negative effect on livestock? I'm thinking not from the natural ocean sounds...but...

Next, I was thinking about going something in the 70g range for my first tank, either bow or cube, so I can put it in the corner. (Because of the tv issue.) I figure if I get completely sucked in to the hobby, I can go bigger, but having a corner unit will be much easier to place somewhere else in the house. I have a lot of options with something this big. If I find that this hobby is just out of my league or time availability, then I didn't spend nearly as much as I would for this 6 foot long that keeps catching my eye. While I really like the look of the bow corner, it seems as though it would be a pain to find a sump and skimmer that would fit underneath it. The cube, I could DIY the stand, save a grand, and still have room to work under it. Any thoughts?

Also, I need some more directions on books. Everytime I stop by the LFS I see new stuff. (There is a wrasse that is colored like a clown? A lavender anenome?) I need a good book for fish, inverts, anenomes, and corals. Or one book for each. The main thing I need is pics, and information on what they are compatible with. I read somewhere on here that I should be planning livestock, then buy the tank to fit what I want. I'm in no rush, but the livestock info is just a big jumble here and there. I don't want to waste money on something that I can't keep. Any help here?

Thank you...I'll go back to my lurking now. :)

One Eyed Bunny
02/15/2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/books/

This is a pretty good section off the RC site for books. I just began reading the two you've read, and I've also got Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is pretty much a bible for aquarists, at least in my opinion.

As for whether to go for a cube or corner. Go cube. Corner aquariums, at least the ones I've seen, cost an arm and a leg. Finding a fuge or sump to fit in the stand below it may also pose an interesting challenge.

The question about the subwoofer being an issue, I honestly don't know, hopefully someone else does.

Last, I'm happy to find another soon-to-be aquarist actually taking the time to read up on the hobby and how to successfully navigate its challenges before actually buying anything. I've visited my LFS too often to find a mother and son combo buying a "Nemo" set up or a self-proclaimed "experienced aquarist" purchasing 4 or 5 fish in one visit.

I wish you the best of luck with your first tank!

shag26272
02/15/2006, 04:40 AM
I say go for cube also, when you start getting into wierd shapes the price of stands and canopies go through the roof

Jon Evans
02/15/2006, 05:59 AM
Cube is better. If you ever want to change locations, the corner limits you to your options. Also, it is harder to cover all areas of a corner tank with light if you go the flourescent route.

JJ4417
02/15/2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Got the book link, don't know why I couldn't find it before. This place is great for info, but a little rough to navigate. Or I'm an idiot. *shrug*

I'll go with the square tank, probably 36x36x24.

Anyone have a problem with your halide lights burning the retinas when you are not looking at the tank? Or your home theater system sending the fishes into a hypnotic dance?

gibbswagon
02/15/2006, 07:36 PM
best of luck to you!