PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size question

SandManAtlc
02/15/2006, 11:13 AM
Hey, most of you probly dont remember me, but a while back I posted about a 300-400 gallon tank with DIY questions about price etc. Well after furthering my research, this is not the best financial descision I could make. I didnt take into consideration the cost of lighting, rocks, corals, fish, and the monthly cost to run everything. Im a surveyor, not a lawyer. I dont make that kind of money :(. I did poor research, and as a result, Im back at square one again. Now what Im about to ask you guys is probly going to make you want to kill me. If at all possible, Id like the details of what it takes to setup a 120g and 75g tank. I plan to keep inverts, fish, and pretty much any coral I can manage in the system. Maybee a parts break down such as:

Tank
Sump
Skimmer
Lights
Pump
Sand
etc...

I have a 55g tank I could use for the sump. Should that be enough for eather a 75, or 120?
I know the bigger sump the better, but Im trying to be cost effective without hurting the system at the same time.

Anything else you would like to add, like links, please do. Anything is apreciated. Thanks

Syon
02/15/2006, 12:57 PM
a simple equation on rough estimates would be $35 per gallon

slb11106
02/15/2006, 01:13 PM
a 120 is a great size tank, your sump would be good in the 55g but unless you are going to have a refugium in it also it is overkill and you will have more water for evaporation. skimmer size is always to be as big as possible, bigger the better, just fit it in your budget

150lbs of live rock and 2"+50%live sand/50%aragonite (extra fine if possible)

lights (this is where you will get your costs), if you are not going to do dif. hard corals than a 4x65 watt light should work for you and save initial costs and monthly costs

as par as pumps, i have a little giant 4mdq that would do well in your 120, but just pick one slightly bigger than your requiremnts

are you going to have a refugium, if so 30gal is a good size (i actually used a prefab sump box for mine and that works good (with 3-5" of live sand/mud mix)

i think that covers most of it....

SandManAtlc
02/15/2006, 01:18 PM
Yes I do want a refugium. I also do have a 30 gallon tank as well. Thanks for your time you guys :)

ChrisBuono
02/15/2006, 01:29 PM
I have a 92 gallon corner tank and I've spent about $7,000 (including the RO/DI system).

I don't have a breakdown for you, but count in $500 increments (lighting, LR, sump and skimmer, tank and stand, pumps and powerheads, sand/salt/stuff). There's $3000 easy.

Recife
02/15/2006, 01:34 PM
You may also consider starting off with FOWLR. You will save a lot of money in lighting and livestock. That will help keep your costs down in the beginning. Then later on you can upgrade your lighting and be ready to start reefing. In that case, you have to make sure to add only fish compatible with reef.

By the way, don't forget to add into your equation the cost of water changes that can be quite high for a large tank. Any 10% water change for a 120gal tank will be 12gal. My local fish store sells purified water for 40c a gallon and you still have to add salt to that.

slb11106
02/15/2006, 01:52 PM
i agree, FOWLR is a great way to setup, that is what i did. much cheaper but make sure you plan your equipment properly for the final product. do you have any existing equipment from the past tu utilize or are you buying new ?