PDA

View Full Version : How Ya Like Me Now? Final Aquascaping

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 11:55 AM
So, here's the pretty much final rockwork and look of the tank. I am pretty pleased with it. There's about 87 pounds on the left and 54 pounds on the right. The rocks don't touch the glass anywhere. The pictures don't show it well but it's pretty tall. About 24 inches on the right side. Both sides have some big caves. The left side is going to have croceas all over the top shelves, coco worms tucked into the holes below and then mushrooms and zoos all around the bottom. The right side will have everything else. :D

Do you like it?
Please circle yes or no.

yes no

-Clark

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110774BeginningTankShot.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110774BeginningTankLeft.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110774BeginningTankRight__3_.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110774BeginningFullTankshot.jpg

Anemonebuff
02/15/2006, 11:57 AM
I like it a lot. It will really KA once the coralline sets in.

JxMetal
02/15/2006, 11:57 AM
It won't let me circle!

But I'll type yes

REV
02/15/2006, 12:02 PM
Looks nice. All of the rock that looks like that really cool holy one on the left at my lfs- they said is not for salt. I dunno really, but I love the look!

REV
02/15/2006, 12:04 PM
Hey!~ Just noticed another wave2k out there! I love mine!

Craig Lambert
02/15/2006, 12:09 PM
Looks great! If you put a black backing on the tank, it will look even better.

Anemonebuff
02/15/2006, 12:09 PM
That rock is fine as long as it has been cleaned properly. It has the consistency of non-pourous base rock, but looks really good IMO. I have some of that Fellerstone stuff in my tank. It's not really for reefs, but seems to be just fine in my tank.

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 12:25 PM
Hey, Rev. Thanks! As I understand it, holey rock isn't really "for" saltwater in the following ways:

1) It isn't actually from the ocean, well not fresh from the ocean anyway. It usually comes out of the ground in Texas.

2) It isn't live rock and doesn't really have the capacity to become such. It's not porous enough. A lot of people think the filtration in live rock comes from the holes in it they see but it's actually all the tine little holes where the bacteria live inside the rock that are important. The limestone has big holes but it won't have bacteria living inside it in the same way.

3) When initially placed in water it will give off chlorine. This will stop and can be dealt with either in your cycling or prior to placing it in the tank.

Other than that, I have seen a lot of people use it and I don't know of any ill effects. It can raise your pH but that can be dealt with. This is all to the best of my knowledge.

Clark

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6747142#post6747142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REV
Hey!~ Just noticed another wave2k out there! I love mine!

Oh, yeah. I think it's really cool. I can't wait to see the polyps moving with that wavelike motion.

I have a question for you though. Have you found it to be too much for anything? Some kind of hitchiker from the LR was near it the other day when I turned it on and the poor thing was sent tumbling away. It got me wondering if it might be a little much for the softies. Your thoughts, experience?

Thanks
-Clark

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6747175#post6747175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig Lambert
Looks great! If you put a black backing on the tank, it will look even better.

Thanks, Craig. That's definitely going to happen. That's one thing I like about the Wave2K a lot. With a black backing it will pretty much disappear. We won't have any really visible equipment in the tank.

-Clark

Alaskan Reefer
02/15/2006, 12:31 PM
Beautiful look. I second the addition of black background...

REV
02/15/2006, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you've got a good grip on things with the rock. The wave2k is pretty strong. I have a few softies, but I haven't had to move anything. My xenia isn't directly in from of it, but I have a couple of leathers that are. Just imagine ocean current... although it fluctuates regularly, there will be times when it is stronger than any machine. Just leave it running and the life in the tank should let you know somehow what it likes.

reefpeep2004
02/15/2006, 01:15 PM
Good luck keeping your croceas sitting on rock. Mine clams ALWAYS managed to jump into the sand. I guess they just prefer it?

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6747529#post6747529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REV
Sounds like you've got a good grip on things with the rock. The wave2k is pretty strong. I have a few softies, but I haven't had to move anything. My xenia isn't directly in from of it, but I have a couple of leathers that are. Just imagine ocean current... although it fluctuates regularly, there will be times when it is stronger than any machine. Just leave it running and the life in the tank should let you know somehow what it likes.

Thanks, Rev. I figure like a lot of things it's all a matter of placement. :)

-Clark

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6747697#post6747697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefpeep2004
Good luck keeping your croceas sitting on rock. Mine clams ALWAYS managed to jump into the sand. I guess they just prefer it?

reefpeep2004 : My plan is to remove that top rock and build a sort of grid of liverock rubble epoxied on. Like clam corrals I guess. It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a pretty big flat space up there. I'll glue something like this to it:

\/
/\
\/
/\

Heh, that phrase just made me think "Shootout at the Crocea Corral!"
:rollface:

-Clark

alten78
02/15/2006, 02:18 PM
"shes a beaut Clark."

just make sure your mag scraper can fit everywhere :)

Rcarruth
02/15/2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks alten78. Yeah, I really don't want a coralline backwall. That's a battle I'm not looking forward to.

-Clark

acroporid23
02/15/2006, 03:05 PM
nice rockwascape!