PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a longnose hawk?

Jonviviano
02/15/2006, 03:16 PM
I look online at liveaquaria.com and they said that the longnose hawk makes an excellent reef inhabitant under the proper conditions. would they really try and take on cleaner shrimp that are much bigger? do they nip/eat corals? If they do which ones? Any insight would be appreciated.

craftytony
02/16/2006, 10:14 AM
bump

Monkeyfish
02/16/2006, 11:16 AM
My longnose doesn't bother any fish or corals. He's been in the tank with a skunk cleaner shrimp for about 9 months and has never made any aggressive moves towards the shrimp. I've seen the shrimp attempt to clean him once or twice (the hawkfish would swim away). HOWEVER, the hawk is only about 3.5 inches long (less than 2 when I bought him) and they can grow to be twice that length. I don't know how things will be when the hawkfish is fully grown.

clord
02/16/2006, 08:04 PM
My longnose never attacked my shrimp but he will attack sand dwelling fish.

smiller
02/17/2006, 05:29 AM
Had mine for almost 6 years. They would have to be pretty small shrimp for him to go after them. Never a problem with any corals.

falconut
02/17/2006, 06:45 AM
I had mine for about 3 months now and it doesn't bother any of my fish. My smaller fish are Yellow Clown Goby, 1" blue reef chromis and 1.5"-2" mandarin. I also have BL hermits and snails.

He doesn't bother any of the above. They should be perfectly safe with corals, it's the shrimp that are questionable.

My friend has one with 2 cleaner shrimp and they've been fine for 2 months. They are really awesome fish. HTH

fishermania
02/17/2006, 02:08 PM
I had one for about a year before. I didn't bother the cleaner shrimp or any of the fish. I did eat my small peppermint shrimp though.

tryffin
02/17/2006, 03:34 PM
He attacked sand dwelling fish? Similar to a 4" <a href="http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?ID=4322&what=species">ornate goby</a> or do you think he'd be ok?

I always assumed a longnose hawk would eat my cleaner and fire shrimps, so I never got one ... but now ... seems like a possibility.

sunfish11
02/17/2006, 08:18 PM
My longnose coexists well with cleaners but kills all peppermints after harassing them like crazy. They love to eat amphiphods and will hunt until the supply is exhausted. He also eats any meaty food offered as long as it is some kind of shrimp. I did see on several occasion, my hawk being cleaned by the cleaner shrimp.

Lisa

clord
02/17/2006, 09:12 PM
Mine attacked my rainsfords goby so I took him back and I have read that they will attack any small sand dwelling fish so I would say if the fish is bigger he wouldn't go after it but a longnose can get 5-6 inchs big.

locito277
02/20/2006, 03:13 PM
Ive had a few with no problems... One thing they may do is eat tiny inverts & perch on your coral...Ive never witnessed this but I figure in the wild they perch on coral branches so they might substitute on an LPS or Softie???