PDA

View Full Version : is this a problem?

reefer1187
02/15/2006, 08:00 PM
hey everyone i have my humu humu trigger for about 3 weeks aready and he dosnt eat anything else beside flake food, and once in a while he will choose to eat the frozen foods, is it a problem if he only takes/eats the flake foods?, because i know they say its good to give them a variety of foods

Fast Fred
02/15/2006, 08:42 PM
Try some live foods if they are available to you.

I see you live in NY. Any chance you are near the bay? When I had a Huma Huma, I would go down to the bay with a seine net and get live grass shrimp and small crabs for him. He went nuts chasing and eating them. He loved 'em, and it was fun to watch.

Infern0
02/15/2006, 09:57 PM
Exactly...let the hunter hunt...live food.

I had a dragon wrasse before I moved. I would dump about a dozen ghost shrimp in there a week ($1) and let him hunt when hungry. I also had a snowflake eel that I would feed chunks of fresh fish that I de-shelled. When I take the shells off every night to feed the eel, I would hold the shrimp legs at the waterline and let the dragon take them out of my hand. (yeah yeah...they say not to do that...it's fun, so whatever)

reefer1187
02/16/2006, 08:05 AM
would my lumare wrasse eat live food also? about how much ghost shrimp should i buy?

FormulatedFire
02/16/2006, 10:28 AM
are the ghost shrimp you guys talking about the same ones that i feed to my fw fish......i feed my cichlids ghost shrimp from the lfs everyone once in a while for a treat but they live in the tank if they dont eat them is this the same for sw......can they live in both?

Infern0
02/16/2006, 10:58 AM
I have no idea about anything fresh water. I imagine there are two species that are relatively the same for each water type.

Yes the ones that aren't eaten will function like any other shrimp in the tank, by mainly scavaging off of any reminance. Not a bad thing at all...then, when your fish get hungry...bye bye shrimpy.

Yes, that LUNARRE Wrasse will definitely chow down on that.

As far as the amount, with two fish that will be dining, I'd get 2 or 3 dozen and drop them in a week, as well as flake them every now and then to see if they are getting enough to eat.

reefer1187
02/17/2006, 07:54 PM
should this be a treat for them, or a regular meal?

Andrew
02/17/2006, 07:56 PM
Try some forzen cocktail shrimp. My lions and tang loved it and went nuts over it. A trigger should do the same thing.