PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Nautilus skimmer and Mag 7

boalady
02/16/2006, 08:28 AM
I recieved the Nautilus from a friend and they suggested a Mag 7. I need help, the mag 7 seems to be too much for the Nautilus. I'm using a clear piece of tubing hooked up to the venturi, and the Nautilus overfills the collection cup real quick. Running it without the collection cup and the water trickles down the sides.

I'ved moved the clear tube from the little nibble on the venturi and actually placed it inside the venturi through the opening the water is supposed to go through. It still seams to suck too much water and not enough bubbles, because it overflows. I have a ball valve betweeen the pump and the skimmer and when I adjust it down I get less bubbles. I moved the output tube with the sponge on it as far down as it will go, but I still get too much water.

Can anyone shead some light on this for me?

Thanks

swashbuckler
02/16/2006, 01:12 PM
how deep is the pump? it should be as close to the surface as possible....

tekknoschtev
02/16/2006, 01:21 PM
Is this an insump model? I've got the EX 24, and we had to raise the whole assembly up in our sump out of the water because if it is too far into the water the pressure is lower on it, and it overflows. I know I'm not using the right terminology but hopefully you can make sense of it.

boalady
02/16/2006, 06:32 PM
It is the in sump version. It is in 12 inches of water. Does the whole thing have to be closer to the water surface? How close?

swashbuckler
02/16/2006, 08:52 PM
well, for optimum performance (air intake), pump should be about 4 inches or less under water line. b/c of the silly design of the skimmers, you may have to raise the whole unit- i would suggest putting it on an inverted specimen cup or stack egg crate

tekknoschtev
02/16/2006, 08:57 PM
We made a crafty PVC lift for ours and it is at 4" in the water. That is, the whole unit is only under 4" of water at the base.

http://workshopwebs.com/pictures/fish/150/05July/071805/sump.JPG
That's an old image that roughly shows the lift for it. We have since raised it even further (it was at 6" then) and are getting better performance.

boalady
02/16/2006, 10:40 PM
Great. I'll try your tips and see how it goes. Thanks alot!!