PDA

View Full Version : OT: other hobbies

spooda420
02/16/2006, 09:37 PM
Well since we all have saltwater tanks in common, what other hobbies do we all have?

Ill start. I recently got into RC planes... I successfully flown over 50 flight now, all with only minor damage on the very first flight.

I also really dig F1 racing (see the avator) Its not nascar, much more invloved than left hand turns :)

anyone else?

ARLO
02/16/2006, 09:45 PM
I love to fly..

MayoBoy
02/16/2006, 09:46 PM
Woodworking and restoring old woodworking machines. Restorations have included Powermatic 65 (1964) my everyday saw, Red Star RAS (pre WWII), Atlas drill press and jointer, Walker Turner drill presses, lathes and saw (all pre WWII).

sirreal63
02/16/2006, 09:48 PM
My only other hobby at the moment...chasing females, but I always practice catch and release. lol.

Recent hobbies were carshows, did 3 seasons of that nightmare, woodworking and computers.

hckycoz
02/16/2006, 10:06 PM
I love hockey I have been playin since i was 3 and next year i am goin to start coachin. I also really like cars but dont have the money for them.

oh and of coarse long walks on the beaches, candellit dinners, and cuddeling!!!!!

AnotherReefGuy
02/16/2006, 10:11 PM
I am into sports, surprise surprise. I like flying but have no time, and also like skydiving.
Oh yeah, my ultimate hobby is travel. I love to get away and see things, meet people, and eat different food.

Markk96
02/16/2006, 10:17 PM
What RC planes are you flying? I used to do that alot.

capncapo
02/16/2006, 10:42 PM
I like slipping on my wig and my heels and ................ sorry, wrong forum.

Fade
02/16/2006, 10:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6760733#post6760733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capncapo

I wonder about you sometimes Greg:eek1:

capncapo
02/16/2006, 10:45 PM
Wonder what?

Just keep your hands to yourself John! :D

Reefer Wannabe
02/16/2006, 10:47 PM
I recently started playing in a dodgeball league...

chadscamaro
02/16/2006, 11:01 PM
I have been known to get highly addicted to my hobbys, so here it goes ! Race cars,atv's,dune buggys,motorcycles,r/c cars and boats, mountain biking,paintball, boating, and of course reef tanks.

skhle
02/16/2006, 11:07 PM
I used to play w/RC ,fly out at the park at 141 / 44 with the Pilot club.
Spooda420, do you build your own planes, I have supplies, parts thinking of putting on ebay, pm me if interest.

Hobbes8017
02/16/2006, 11:15 PM
Well, I am an avid NASCAR fan, so this weekend being the Daytona 500 - it starts another great season of weekend races...

I also race Slot cars (HO scale) with a club on Monday nights. Currently building a new track in the basement. Although this NEW hobby is causing a reconfiguration of the basement and the Slotcar track got moved to the back room. Had to make room for all the salt.

Arsenal11
02/16/2006, 11:29 PM
Well before kids sports we use to have a condo & boat at the lake,sold that & bought a 30' searay sundancer & put it at the river & once again because of my daughters involvment in competive soccer im putting it up for sale in the spring. Hope to return to lake of the ozarks when she is finished with soccer. Anyone need a searay? Very nice sleeps 6 & has a generator for those all night outings.

chadscamaro
02/16/2006, 11:34 PM
I have been going to the ozarks since I was born, my parents had a trailer for 10 years then built a house in 1990 in camdenton Lk Rd 5-77, what part of the lake were you at kurt ?

Arsenal11
02/16/2006, 11:44 PM
hawks nest condo's right at the grand glazie bridge.

chadscamaro
02/16/2006, 11:56 PM
Nice, my dad is actually thinking of buying rental property there ! They have a great rental program, and great location ! You were in the crazy part of the lake , "osage beach" !

Letmegrow
02/17/2006, 12:11 AM
Guitars, I used to collect.
If the question comes up, Gibson - not Fender.

Also my Tarantulas.

TWINPEAKS
02/17/2006, 12:13 AM
I used to be realy involved in late model dirt track racing but because of work haven't been able to do it anymore,also do reloading and target shooting

Arsenal11
02/17/2006, 12:29 AM
Yes during the "wake days" its no wake now i went thru 3 boat lifts in 3yrs, i was the end slip on the dock. Far end. Sold my condo in 2004 for $86,500. Was told it just resold last summer for $127900. that sucks just my luck.Oh well we had some great times on that deck. & i paid $43k in 1998.

Mrs. Slide_Ice
02/17/2006, 12:44 AM
I love to snow ski in the winter, water ski in the summer, and also enjoy horse back riding, bike riding, and sailing.

Jenny

ol'saltybastage
02/17/2006, 07:59 AM
R/C truck / Diving / FLying, not anymore since i dont know anyone with a plane. / Racing imports/ dirt track racing ...

spongebobby
02/17/2006, 08:14 AM
I race 1/8 scale offroad R/C all over the quad states. I also am a avid trophy whitetail hunter in the fall........ Archery and gun.

levon15
02/17/2006, 08:19 AM
Is it just me or is saltwater a lithmus test for people with expensive hobbies. I also enjoy flying when enough moeny is pooled up to rent the plane. Not that I am current or anything, I still ride along and navigate.

I have a bunch of RC planes as well, flew once, crashed once with what i call the test plane. I got scared and havent flown any of the nice ones i have. Have three complete planes and two junkers a small one and a large cub with no engine. EBay lot.

I used to collect baseball cards but then that got expensive and I would only look at them maybe once a year. No I have the nice ones set up and stare at the moneypit salty tanks all the time.

Enjoyment for $$ spent, saltwater has gatta be one of my better hobby choices

reefs4ever2
02/17/2006, 08:20 AM
you mean there is other hobbies ?????

rottielover
02/17/2006, 09:59 AM
SCUBA!

Also I have a bunch of RC airplane stuff for anyone that is interested! I'll sell it pretty cheap to fellow reefers, heck I'll even trade RC stuff for frags!

Ocicat
02/17/2006, 01:24 PM
Travel
Poker
Web design
Biking
Horseback riding
Reading
Writing

TheCheat
02/17/2006, 01:28 PM
right now, my new obsession is Triathlons. i decided to get in better shape, so i figured learning to swim competitively, saving up for a road bike, and pounding the pavement would be the most challenging, most rewarding way to do that.
i have the obligatory R/C cars too, of course.
~B

ol'saltybastage
02/17/2006, 02:01 PM
with all the R/C car and plane people maybe we should all get together. i need to get the Revo fired up anyway

DrBDC
02/17/2006, 02:09 PM
I bought my son a firebird xl and we went over to Logan College since they have a big field. That thing took off, went up, I turned it and it flew into what must be the biggest tree in West County! I wen't home and got a 40 ft ladder, not close. Took 2 pole saws and duct taped them together and 3 of these 6 ft plastic tomato stakes and made this 25-30 ft jimmy rigged pole and standing on the highest rung of that ladder I barely touched it. We got it out and I spent another 40 bucks on a new wing. I was about ready to sneak a chain saw out there. Took it out a second time and flew it for about 15 minutes, landing sucks and the propeller notched the wing! Then I learned how to patch those wings. Did it a 3rd time and no problems. Haven't touched it in 4 or 5 years. We'll have to get it out again this spring. I forgot we even had it.

rottielover
02/17/2006, 02:23 PM
I decided to get out of the RC airplanes, I have a .40 sized trainer, a P-51 Mustang upgraded with pnumatic landing gear, all it needs is an engine and some touch up finishing work (maybe like 4 hours tops) to get it flying. The radio for both of these is a Futaba 8 channel already programmed for them, and I have the better longer lasting battery's in both the planes and the transmitter.

I also have all of my little brothers RC airplane stuff to get rid of as well. So anyone that is interested in trading SW stuff for RC Airplane stuff or cash let me know please! I really need more room in my basement!

rottielover
02/17/2006, 02:23 PM
sorry double post

adamprice271
02/17/2006, 02:50 PM
My other big hobby is my car. I installed every bolt on part onto my car (vw gti 1.8t) and ran a 14.2(stock turbo/internals etc). But now I put it back to stock and am trading it in for an 02 Audi TT 225hp turbo. Suspension and an ECU ship are getting installed for this season of Autocross, then next summer comes the big turbo kit which gets the car down to a low 12 in the 1/4 mile. I havn't messed with my RC car in a while but I need to get it fixed. That's about it....I also like to visit all the big attrations in st louis (science center etc) and on road trips friends and I stop at places like "Shedd's Aquarium" and where else fits in our schedule.

Adam

trottman
02/17/2006, 04:01 PM
paintball, mountian backpaking, jv golf, cichlid tanks....... women (of almost all ages) and other normal stuff

spooda420
02/17/2006, 04:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6764774#post6764774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rottielover
I decided to get out of the RC airplanes, I have a .40 sized trainer, a P-51 Mustang upgraded with pnumatic landing gear, all it needs is an engine and some touch up finishing work (maybe like 4 hours tops) to get it flying. The radio for both of these is a Futaba 8 channel already programmed for them, and I have the better longer lasting battery's in both the planes and the transmitter.

I also have all of my little brothers RC airplane stuff to get rid of as well. So anyone that is interested in trading SW stuff for RC Airplane stuff or cash let me know please! I really need more room in my basement!

Very interested in talking to you about these... the 8ch radio and the other planes...

scbadiver
02/17/2006, 04:30 PM
Boy I see an awful lot of similar interests here outside of the aqauriums. I also do scuba diving, woodworking and rc planes. I have been really working at putting my shop together in the basement to do more DIY projects. Power tools are great!

Turf
02/18/2006, 12:13 PM
Use to do r/c planes now it is most anything with an extream in front of it... whitewater rafting, skydiving, snowboarding, diving, hunting, travel travel travel, chasing women, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.... j/k. ;)

joebuckmaster
02/18/2006, 02:25 PM
Deer hunting, fishing, camping and atv's. Love guns and shooting also.

spooda420
02/18/2006, 04:57 PM
I recently had the oppurtunity to rack off 250 rounds through an AR-15 pretty cool ((yet expensive hobby)) I need to find a hobby that pays me money.

Chelsey
02/18/2006, 05:15 PM
My hobbies...
-photography!
-animals in general
-computer stuff (building, gaming, etc)

stlsaltwater
02/18/2006, 09:00 PM
Am i the only streetbike stunter...Or dum one i should say!

kpc01
02/18/2006, 09:08 PM
I ride a streetbike, but no stunting....I do like to watch stunting, just not really wanting to hurt my R1 lol. My girl has a R6 also, so she rides w/ me. Also cars(just sold my 11sec mustang)...hopefully getting another boat if we get the house on lake st. louis we are hoping for...

SSTG
02/18/2006, 09:17 PM
poker, lots of poker r/c cars,trucks

stlsaltwater
02/18/2006, 09:21 PM
no cars for me just bikes and snowboards

list of bikes..2003 R6 streetbike, 2004 Kx250 dirtbike , 1990 Ysr50 streetbike, Xr50 dirtbike . atv50 4 wheeler , B1 rep pocketbike and 5 other pocketbikes ...

cant wait till spring

maxxII
02/18/2006, 09:25 PM
Motorcycles, photography, martial arts, shooting, chasing my wife around the house....

Nick

chadscamaro
02/18/2006, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6764612#post6764612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ol'saltybastage
with all the R/C car and plane people maybe we should all get together. i need to get the Revo fired up anyway

I hear that, I have 2 revo's and a jato collecting lots of dust !

ol'saltybastage
02/18/2006, 10:49 PM
no kidding, I hear that Jato is a rocket.. are there any decent tracks or places to bash them around STL? the only thing i hated in KS is its so flat. not many places to really test the revo.

dphins
02/18/2006, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6772504#post6772504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spooda420
I recently had the oppurtunity to rack off 250 rounds through an AR-15 pretty cool ((yet expensive hobby)) I need to find a hobby that pays me money.
Try a M-60 next time, much more kick and fun! It just sucks sleeping with one though.:( Glad those days are over.:)

Reeferhead
02/18/2006, 10:54 PM
Mixed Martial Arts, I train with the War Room Fight Club in Wood River. What can I say I'm a gluton for punishment, but honestly its the greatest sport in the world. My next fight is March 25th at Pop's, come check it out.

Later, Nick

drgabe
02/18/2006, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6760733#post6760733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capncapo

That reminds me, you left your pumps at my house last week. :bum:

Hobbies: I always wanted to do RC cars, but never found a good group to suck me in. :) Nascar, Scuba, Tennis just like the sig says.

Lost His Marbles Name
02/19/2006, 02:31 PM
martial arts "when my back is back in good shape" Motorcycles, Camping, floating, dune bugge, Shooting my ak47 and other gun's, and wresteling with my dogs.

Letmegrow
02/19/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6774025#post6774025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlsaltwater
no cars for me just bikes and snowboards

list of bikes..2003 R6 streetbike, 2004 Kx250 dirtbike , 1990 Ysr50 streetbike, Xr50 dirtbike . atv50 4 wheeler , B1 rep pocketbike and 5 other pocketbikes ...

cant wait till spring

It's like 4 F,
Bust out those snow boards Tony !!!

slimer1
02/19/2006, 03:27 PM
Well I was happy to see there was a couple of hunters in the in the group .Hunting and fishing my favoret hobbies bow hunting white tails being #1 got out the other day and made some bunnies have a bad day but was a great day for my friend good thing Cheney wasn`t hunting with us . We jumped some Qual but let them go it wasn`t season for them we were just happy to see them.

marino420td
02/20/2006, 12:03 AM
RC Airplanes, motorcycles, photography, woodworking. Not enough time in the day.

rottielover
02/20/2006, 02:31 PM
wow, I'm starting to think that all the SCUBA divers need to setup a collection trip ;) LOL Just KIDDING!

latazyo
02/28/2006, 11:25 PM
I like to create enclosures and environments for animals, I keep snakes, and will soon be doing an aquarium again....I also play a lot of sim city [dork]

Letmegrow
02/28/2006, 11:26 PM
Latazyo,
What kind of snakes ?

Have any Tarantulas(yet) ?

latazyo
02/28/2006, 11:52 PM
in the last 2 years I've done
Boa contrictor, bull snake, grey banded king, regular corn, ball python, california king, russian tortoise, green tree frog, 3 leopard geckos

due to forced landlord sell off I only have the boa constrictor and green tree frog left...the bull snake was one of my favorites and I hope to get another someday....I recommend that any snake lover dabble in the world of bull snakes, their attitude is outstanding and they are certainly a handful

maybe I like them because they're native here (ND) who knows...

I dont have any tarantulas, I've never really been interested in them, Im not afraid of them or anything, just not interested in keeping them

maybe once I get down to chesterfield and aquainted with the laws I'll be able to expand a little bit more so I can re-attain full zoo status, haha

Letmegrow
03/01/2006, 12:06 AM
I like this guy already.
I like bullsnakes too, highly underated.
The laws in the St. Louis area are, no venemous. That's it.

These don't peak your interest ?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/letmegrowstl/TWP039.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/letmegrowstl/TWP017.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/letmegrowstl/Versionhand.jpg

latazyo
03/01/2006, 12:19 AM
those are both really cool

Im glad to hear that boids are allowed in the STL area, that is my only concern

Letmegrow
03/01/2006, 12:21 AM
Allowed and Welcomed.

If you need any reccomendations for local stores, let me know.

TooFar2Sea
03/01/2006, 12:47 AM
The only thing vicious about my dog is his breath... American Staffordshire Terrier...He was saved by Mutts n Stuff, a local rescue operation, and stayed in a foster home til he came to live with us. He was scheduled for death at a shelter but the workers saw something special in him and he was spared. I would say he is the perfect dog but there is that little issue about his breath!!!

http://www.tankyouverymuch.com/sitebuilder/images/claude-467x600.jpg

Letmegrow
03/01/2006, 12:50 AM
What is his name ?

dynamitedj
03/01/2006, 09:25 AM
I like to spin records, I been djing for seven years. I also am interested in digital audio production. I play the drums. I used to have snakes, had 2 brizillian rainbow boas. But i would have to say that saltwater is currently what i'm spending the most money on.

rottielover
03/01/2006, 03:14 PM
TooFar2Sea -

Hope you don't live in my neck of the woods, we just lost a huge fight in Florissant about banning "pit bulls". Those idiot council members couldn't see past the end's of their noses....

Out of 10 members (including the mayor) only 2 "changed their minds" and voted "NO". It was all a big political show though...

I'm still very upset over it, they haven't banned Rottie's yet, but I've started a savings account just in case of that event (to pay for a good lawyer).

Heck I even went on my own personal petition drive and had 14 Vet's from all over the area sign off that these dogs themselves are not the problem....

Anyway this is WAY of topic, so if you want to know more, or if you evern need some help with ammo in a legal battle to keep your dog let me know.

Also, to any people that live in Florissant - DO NOT vote for any of the current counsil members in April, don't let them fool you either. I doubt anyone is running against them though, I lookedu up the requirements to run, major PITA to get your name on the ballot, NO other cities in the area have requirements like those in Florissant to get on the ballot, NONE, noda. They rule this city with an iron fist... Just look at the current Renter's law they passed. If you rent in Florissant YOU must pay $200 a year for 2 "inspections" per year!

They violate our rights every chance they get, so don't let them!

/soapbox

Whew, I actually feel better now!

DrBDC
03/01/2006, 03:44 PM
You can make a beagle mean too if that's what someone is trying. We have boxers and people freak out. They're more likely to get tackled and licked to death. That doesn't mean if someone is threatening they won't remove a limb or two. Our friend has two pits and they are the exact same way. One is even blind which can sometimes make a dog a little jumpy too. They grow up how you treat them. I have a lab/chow mix that has a screw loose and I'm more worried about him biting someone. He growls at ghosts or something.

JxMetal
03/01/2006, 05:14 PM
rottie, I believe you can still have pitbulls in florissant. My girlfriend has one full breed and a half breed. They're not aggressive in the least bit either. But one day they got out and the mailman called pet control and they came and got the dogs. When they were being picked up pet control told her mom that they had to put chips in the dogs or something since they are pitbulls. That and they have to have like $100,000 liability on their home insurance.

I don't know if those are the exact details, but it's something along those lines to keep pitbulls in Florissant.

TooFar2Sea
03/01/2006, 06:38 PM
My dog's name is Polleo (latin for strength). I am also a member of the local pit bull club so I know all about Breed Specific Legislation. Several of our members marched in the Barkus parade but it was just a bit too cold for me. I had to jump through a few hoops (references, homevisit) to get our dog through a rescue organization but I am convinced thats the best way to go. It is a sad reality that hundreds of pits are put to sleep each week in our area. With so few slots available for rescue it just seemed logical to me that the dogs chosen would be very special. Having had our guy for a while only confirms this logic. He came to us crate trained, has never had an accident inside, and has the quickest tongue for a KISS this side of Gene Simmons.

TooFar2Sea
03/01/2006, 06:54 PM
WARNING Unaltered Photo of Altered Dog To Follow...
Polleo assumes the (bellyrub) position

http://www.tankyouverymuch.com/images/rubme.jpg

Goalie66
03/01/2006, 07:17 PM
Ok, saw the KISS reference a few posts back so it's my turn now. LOL!

I play roller hockey (DUH!), I also bowl a couple of times a week. I love computer gaming with friends, this winter I have started going to trivia nights. Alot of fun and then during the summer we go to Party at the Park at the horse track about once a month. Can't beat $10.00 all you can eat and $1.00 bottle beer. :)

Tom

chadfarmer
03/01/2006, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6859207#post6859207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goalie66
Ok, saw the KISS reference a few posts back so it's my turn now. LOL!

I play roller hockey (DUH!), I also bowl a couple of times a week. I love computer gaming with friends, this winter I have started going to trivia nights. Alot of fun and then during the summer we go to Party at the Park at the horse track about once a month. Can't beat $10.00 all you can eat and $1.00 bottle beer. :)

Tom

what about sewing

hckycoz
03/01/2006, 07:56 PM
Tom where do you play roller hockey. A couple of my friends and i play at the rink in cville

Goalie66
03/01/2006, 08:17 PM
Sewing. I knew that would be brought up! LOL!
I play hockey on Sundays at All-American in South County.

rottielover
03/01/2006, 08:45 PM
SORRY OT AGAIN!

JxMetal- Sort of right, If you already had a pitbull before the law was passed you may keep it provided you have $100,000 of insurance FOR EACH dog. Along with muzzel requirements and other requirements.

No one may own a "new" pitbull from the date the law was passed.

Personally I feel this violates my civil rights, but I don't have the money for a legal fight I'd probly loose cause I can't afford a good lawyer....

maxxII
03/01/2006, 11:20 PM
Rottie,
hate to say it, but by allowing all current dogs stay and preventing any new animals from residing in the city, Florissant avoids legal issues. Shrewsbury really set themselves up for a fight they wouldnt have won with their version of that ordinance. Since it didnt allow dogs currently in the city to be "grandfathered" in, I'm pretty sure they would have lost any legal battles sent their way. IIRC, they backed down from their version.

Personally, I'm against breed specific bans. Its the way the dog was raised 99% of the time that determines its behavior. I've got a 90lb Lab/Chow/Sheppard mix that is a sweetheart for the most part.... aside from people with shopping carts, (when we lived in the city along an alley) and the trash truck....he gets along with people just fine. I think the owners of dogs should be held responsible for anything that happens with the dog. It would cut down on alot of this reactionary legislation.

Nick

Letmegrow
03/01/2006, 11:29 PM
Where does the ban stop ?

You outlaw the "unsafe dogs".
Then when people get used to having them gone do they then outlaw dogs that are over 65 lbs ?

I do not agree with the outlaw on the dogs, I do support serious jail time for anyone who raises a gaurd dog or a attack dog.
It is in the dogs nature to protect it's family - they need no lessons or adjustments, making the dog mean helps no one and nothing, but only gets the dogs in trouble.

People that keep animals for "defense" and "protection" reasons make me sick.

Letmegrow
03/01/2006, 11:47 PM
My dog, Martin.
I got him at the human society. They said Rhodisian Ridgeback(my favorite breed) and a German Shepard mix. I say he is mutt and pittbull. Who knows, he was found on the street.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/letmegrowstl/tarantulas001.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/letmegrowstl/newstore114.jpg

rottielover
03/02/2006, 09:44 AM
maxxII -

I agree, they carefully crafted the ordinace with the help of highly payed laywers, to make any legal challenges as difficult as possible. However, (in this country at least) if you have enough $$$ you can get anything you want thru the court system, just look at OJ!

Since I don't have the money, I'm just going to do what I can to campain against the current administration in Florissant. It's time for the residents to stand up for what we belive in.

If you were following the fight (I was smack in the middle of it), well over 90% of the people that stood up to talk to the council and the letters that were written were against breed specific, instead we all wanted stronger dangerous dog laws so that we were protected from any dangerous dog regardless of what breed it is. But instead of listening to the voting public, they just passed it anyway, claiming they were listening to the "experts" (the city pound workers).

Well I mean no offense to the city workers, I'm sure they work hard and do thier jobs, but their job is not that of "expert" it's dog catcher. Just cause you can catch a dog, does not mean you are some kind of expert. I had Vet's with PhD's writting in and signed my petition, and also dog behavor experts! People with 8 years of college for christ's sake! And the council is listening to people with what? high school educations or less??

The most ludicous comment came from one coucil member, who claimed he went door to door asking people about it, well the problem I have with that story is that my grandparents (who are at home full time) live in his ward and never saw him, AND that was when we had some very low temps around the area. You can't tell me that he got out in the sub freezing to ask people about it, I don't belive it!

Heck another one even mentioned the old "locking jaw" urban legend, dispite about 20 people handing the coucil a TON of documents all about pit bulls and addressing this myth in particular.

While I don't own a "pit bull", I know first hand what nice family pet's they can make if raised properly. Heck I own rottie's and I know what great dogs they are when raised right. My first rott earned her AKC CGC title and was going to be a therapy dog until she got cancer :( (I still miss that dog)

Sorry about all the off topic posts on this, I just feel very strongly about this issue...

zt444a
03/02/2006, 11:32 AM
You are not in the minority, however the minority is mis-informed about the topic.

I had a doberman once upon a time. i was intrigued one day when I saw a woman with one in a Walmart! It was a seizure dog for her.

What a change from the usual perceptions most people have about a breed like that, to see one perfectly at ease in a Walmart full of people.

It is training and care that will do the most to formulate the make-up of a dog's reactions, nurture not nature. Another prime example would be the number of dog and cat owning households, where the dog and cat live in harmony.

I hope all works out well and the matter is resolved the way it should be, with stricter laws regarding all dangerous dogs, not just certain specific breeds.

Now with someone who raises spiders.... No punishment is too severe.

latazyo
03/02/2006, 12:00 PM
snake keepers face the same problem with large boids (reticulated pythons, burmese pythons, anacondas, etc)

keep up the good fight gentlemen

Letmegrow
03/02/2006, 12:20 PM
No reported deaths ever from a Tarantula bite, that globally includes children and infants.

A tarantulas venom is made to arrest the functions of an invertabrate. Really it has little effect on humans as far as damage goes, but introducing a venom of any kind into your body will have an effect. Bees are more deadly by anaphylactic shock cases of allergic individuals. The machanical stab wound of a tarantula would probly hurt a little bit, but , it would be a quick strike not a lingering fang sink. I tarantula has to regurgitate its digestive juices from it's second stomach, and then slurps up the cricket goo. So if you get bit, stop the bleeding and disinfect the area.

Now a Blackwidow or Brown recluse has digestive enzimes (Tissue Narcrosis) and other nuerological blocking substances (muscle constrictors) in their bites.

But even with that, 90% of brown recluse or black widow bites are misdiagnosed.

Spiders are our 8 legged allies, and should be respected and revered. (NOT SQUASHED !!!)

zt444a
03/02/2006, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6864248#post6864248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow
Spiders are our 8 legged allies, and should be respected and revered. (NOT SQUASHED !!!)

I had the fortune to spend some time in the Middle East. Did you know that camel spiders and scorpions do not like each other at all and will commence a fight to the death when put in close proximity?

We had a "pet scorpion" whom we named "Blue," oweing to the faint color of his carapace. He never lost a match and apparently ate quite well! :eek1: :eek1:

So not all insects, bugs, arachnids, need squashed I guess, just some....

MayoBoy
03/02/2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.xhtools.com/big/hammer/Europe%20hammer/CXFS1000.JPG

+

http://www.junglexotics.com/IMAGES/bugs/Tarantula%20-%20Red%20Leg.jpg

=

http://www.presentationresources.net/images/smile_face_button_yellow.jpg

Letmegrow
03/02/2006, 02:08 PM
That's a $160-$220 squash if thats a female(which it is).

MayoBoy
03/02/2006, 02:09 PM
and worth every penny...

Letmegrow
03/02/2006, 02:10 PM
HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH !

Mykayel
03/03/2006, 12:12 PM
Well, I too used to fly R/C planes, I ride an R6, I fence (swords) a couple of times a week and compete a few times a year, I have a beagle and take her out hunting when I have the chance, oh.... and I try to do all that when school/work/reasearch in reinforced concrete gives me the time to do so:
http://web.umr.edu/~mlubiews/pictures/me-research.jpg

or a short time lapse of one of my tests:
http://web.umr.edu/~mlubiews/pictures/research.wmv

maxxII
03/03/2006, 01:07 PM
Wow, thats impressive!
Are you primarily working towards earthquake resistant structures?

Nick

saltyunderground
03/03/2006, 01:12 PM
I try to donate organs whenever I can. I have half a mind to find a new hobby though.

zt444a
03/03/2006, 03:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6872861#post6872861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyunderground
I try to donate organs whenever I can. I have half a mind to find a new hobby though.

Donate organs... half a mind... Now that's funny :D

Mykayel
03/03/2006, 04:05 PM
Yes, we are looking at earthquake ressistant structures. That was actually a retrofit/upgrade of typical Alaska bridges built in the 1970's.

Kathy55g
03/05/2006, 08:56 AM
Gardening, bicycling, quilting, knitting, tye dye,...

but now all I do is raise kids and fish....