PDA

View Full Version : VHO Shot out a 4" Flame

tkeracer619
02/17/2006, 09:05 PM
I finnally got my two 72" VHO URI super actinics and corlavue elxectronic VHO ballast wired up and install on the tank. I webnt to plug it in and nothing. I was pretty sure that the bulbs were supposed to fire almost instantly so I unplugged it.

I checked every endcaps wiring to make sure there was proper contact. I went over the wiring diagram and instructions again, still nothing. Since all was wired correctly I left the ballast plugged in to see if anything would happen.

After about 30 seconds of beeing plugged in I could feel some warmth on the ballast. After about a minute it went bang and shot a 4" flame out the side of the ballast.

The ballast is rated at 440w max or 16ft of VHO bulbs.

It can power 2,3, or 4 bulbs.

The red wires go to one end of a bulb, the yellow to one end of a bulb, and the two black wires are connected to the other end of separate bulbs. There is a jumper from one bulb to the other.

The 6 unused wires I taped and put away. They did not ground out. None of them were touching each other. The instructions say to tie off any non used wires, I took this as keeping ever wire seperate.

Anyone ever see this or hear of this happening? Was it because of a faulty ballast? Wiring?

It tripped the breaker so no further damage ensued.

tkeracer619
02/17/2006, 09:21 PM
This is why I really think I need to walk around with a helmet cam. I see crazy stuff all the time and it could have been a cool video.

tkeracer619
02/18/2006, 01:18 PM
Anyone ever have a ballast explode on them? O yeah it sounded like a shotty so im pretty sure it was a large capacitor. I'm not gonna take it apart :thumbdown b/c of the warranty. I wanna take it apart and just order something else. But thats over 100 waisted