PDA

View Full Version : ro units: is there a difference?

bergzy
02/17/2006, 10:43 PM
i FINALLY got an inline tds meter. always wondered how my water coming out of my two stage di was doing.

well,

as expected, i get 0 ppm from the output but i was pleasantly surprised to see about 2 ppm going into the di canisters.

the kicker is that i havent changed my sediment or carbon filter (let's not talk about the ro membrane) for over a year.

i am wondering how other ro units perform.

here is the one i use:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10034720&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

andycook
02/17/2006, 10:48 PM
I don't know. I just replaced my sediment and carbon filter and the ro membrane and I got an in-line TDS meter. I changed all three because water stopped coming out of the unit.

bergzy
02/17/2006, 10:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6768173#post6768173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andycook
I changed all three because water stopped coming out of the unit.

one word for that "YUCK"! :frog:

andycook
02/18/2006, 09:02 AM
Thinking back I think it was a gradual clogging but it makes me wonder if flushing the unit did anything. I did that weekly.

I have ~140 ppm going in and ~2 coming out (no DI). The filters and membrane are all new. I'll have to see what it is after some use.

rob352
02/18/2006, 09:13 AM
Filters Make The Diff Buy A Cheap Unit And Buy A Good Set Of Filters For It Works Great That's What I Did And Saved A Ton Of Money

aquaman67
02/18/2006, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6769910#post6769910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob352
Filters make the diff buy a cheap unit and buy a good set of filters for it works great that's what I did and saved a ton of money.

It's hard to read something when every word starts with a capital letter. See the difference?

But maybe you already knew that.

Spuds725
02/18/2006, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6768137#post6768137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bergzy
i FINALLY got an inline tds meter. always wondered how my water coming out of my two stage di was doing.

well,

as expected, i get 0 ppm from the output but i was pleasantly surprised to see about 2 ppm going into the di canisters.

the kicker is that i havent changed my sediment or carbon filter (let's not talk about the ro membrane) for over a year.

i am wondering how other ro units perform.

here is the one i use:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10034720&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Its impossible to compare units since we are all hooked up to different raw waters... we would all have to be hooked up to the same raw water to compare.

I'd say with 2 ppm going into your DI, your RO unit is fine for YOUR raw water-- your raw water is likely pretty good. Not knowing your raw water TDS I can't tell you how good your unit is.... it is clearly adequate for your raw water though.

My raw water is 411 ppm (I have a well) so the water going into my DI is 8 ppm (98% rejection).