PDA

View Full Version : Cheato questions

Fishfreak218
02/18/2006, 11:10 AM
Ok, well i got in an argument with somebody on another forum and he says that Cheato eats ammonia... i say they dont.. who is right???? iu have never ever heard of this... i told him that they only eats/absorbs (w.e) phosphates and nitrates...isnt that true???
thanks in advance
-josh

JRFowler
02/18/2006, 02:34 PM
you would be correct, cheato will help absorb nuttrients in the water yes, as its a plant it requires nutrients to grow.. also, it will also consume phosphates too.. which is good..

AIMFish
02/18/2006, 08:11 PM
I've read about freshwater plants being able to do the same, removing wastes in the form of ammonia and even before it gets to that stage. I'm interested to see what the marine greenthumbs say ;)

Fishfreak218
02/18/2006, 09:49 PM
come on someone.. Samalo, Bluenassarius, Graveyard worms (or something like that)... please all im asking is if Cheato eats ammonia??? i dont think it does but someone on another board who im in an argument with says that it does...

The_Nexis_One
02/19/2006, 02:41 AM
Fishfreak:

I looked and found several refrences including this (google "Marine NH3 NH4 algae" for more):

http://www.fisherycrisis.com/seaweed.html

Today’s changing trends in macroalgae are compared to the changes that would be predicted to occur if the availability of N to algae growing in ocean waters was declining. Declines in oceanic levels of zooplankton (and also fish, and invertebrates) offer a clue as to why seaweeds may be experiencing nitrogen shortage. All of these living organisms excrete NH4, ammonia, which is the form of nitrogen fertilizer most readily assimilated by marine algae. Beyond dependence on bottom-to-top mixing patterns to make nutrients available in surface waters, the very fact of the existence of marine animals ensures and moderates the supply of fertilizer to these plants. Marine algae therefore depends on its normal coexistence with marine animal life. The affinity of many smaller organisms to living in seaweed habitat ensures the physical proximity of the fertilizer-excreters to the marine plants that thrive on it; this is one of many expressions of the natural interdependence of plants and animals.

The growth of kelp directly depends upon the availability of ammonia in the water.....

actually - I'll stop quoting, that article is loaded with quotable info on ammonia used by phytoplanton to macro's.

HTH,
John.