PDA

View Full Version : zeovit

boxfishpooalot
02/18/2006, 10:18 AM
Ok looking through this http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:a_rw4s3kOS0J:www.captiveoceans.com/pdfs/ZEOvitGuide1.pdf+what+is+zeovit&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=4

I learned they use zeolites: translated

ze·o·lite:
n.
Any one of a family of hydrous aluminum silicate minerals, whose molecules enclose cations of sodium, potassium, calcium, strontium, or barium, or a corresponding synthetic compound, used chiefly as molecular filters and ion-exchange agents.

What does this do? Kinda like a dionization of saltwater you think?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/18/2006, 12:55 PM
Zeolites have a large number of different structures that are used in many industries. I do not know what zeovit actually uses, or if there is even any benefit to the zeolites that they use. It will not deionize salt water, but some may bind certain substances from it.

murfman
02/21/2006, 11:55 PM
found this, hope it explains some more.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/zeovit/Zeolite_Filters/Zeolite_Filters.htm

boxfishpooalot
02/22/2006, 05:02 AM
thx great read! It seems that zeolites are just another way to grow tremendous amounts of bacteria, wich use ammonia trapped inside the zeolites. As they grow to large populations,a biofilm covers the zeolite, and bacteria reach the end of their life cycle. Becoming unattached they float away to the skimmer. Where they are removed. Wich incorporates their biomass and all chemicalls with them. Wich would also include large amounts of phosphates. Being thick they clog the pores of the zeolite and the zeolites need replacing again.

But there is one trick to get the bacteria biofilm to grow. A carbon source. Seems interesting, as its just another way to export things already there, were just cultivating them much like how we cultivate macro algae in a refugium.

Having large amounts of ammonia bound to zeolite "traps" ammonia to the zeolite location. So other bacteria starve in the aquarium and the bacteria colonizing around and on the zeolite get first hand at it. Eventually throwing the biofilm away exports large masses of bacteria.

Why not just grow bacteria on some other safer non-ion exchange media? What zeolite can be bought cheap that does not exchange calcium?

DrBDC
02/22/2006, 06:15 AM
Do a search during the slow time since you're not a premium member. It's a hornets nest! :lol:

There is a study I find interesting that measures the content of the zeolite material starting at day 4? and then after a certain time period. Why started at day 4? That make ME wonder. Look at it and notice the content of various things such as aluminum. Take that number do some math with it and see how many times NSW levels it will be in the tank after that 90 days. And did a larger amount release before day 4? That would make those numbers even higher. There are other items debated and is there anything even wrong with that? Are the levels high enough to be poisonous? Opinion, fact, or debatable? You decide. Sound like the beginning of that show "Fact or Fiction?" :lol: