PDA

View Full Version : Do you stack your rockwork against the back wall of your tank?

hock51
02/18/2006, 12:16 PM
I am planning on re-aquascaping my new 180 in-wall before I start permanently attaching corals. Just wandering how many of you stack your rock against the back wall of your tank. If you don't why not?

Jeremy Blaze
02/18/2006, 12:19 PM
I do not. I like an open rock structure, not a fruit stand piled on the back.

wetWolger
02/18/2006, 12:21 PM
i made that mistake on my first tank....now when i aquascape I do not have any rock touching any wall....

first because it is easier to clean with a magnet scraper

and second because I think those rock walls end up getting pretty poor flow behind them

hock51
02/18/2006, 02:43 PM
I currently do not have any rock touching the walls of my tank. I originally planned on scraping my back glass, but have changed my mind. I am attaching coral (zoos, cabbage leather, and gsp) to my back wall and overflows. The reason I was thinking about stacking against the back, was purely for utilization of space.

integlikewhoa
02/18/2006, 02:49 PM
If i had a deep tank i wouldnt mind a free floating rock pile. But since my tank is not deep enought for my likeing i stack it gainst the back wall. But i do have a closed loop drilled on the back wall with intakes and outlets back there. So flow is not a problem for me back there.

sea-gecko
02/18/2006, 02:53 PM
I do not stack rock up against any glass because it will cause pressure point and might cause the glass to prematurely break which would lead to disaster...

roons
02/18/2006, 02:54 PM
dont do it.....................fish need a place to sleep =)

jimbo045
02/18/2006, 03:32 PM
I try not to, leave a little gap to make it flow easier. JD

concon
02/18/2006, 03:32 PM
I do not! Same reasons, I am afraid of it breaking the glass and I like the " CLEAN" look. all the glass is scraped and free of all growing stuff. i.e. Coraline and other alga's

cateyes
02/18/2006, 04:22 PM
in mine the rocks on the bottom are away from the glass with the ones stacked above touching the back glass.
i have a power head down low shooting across behind the rocks to help with flow,, my tank is narrow also, 18", if it were deeper i'd keep all rocks off the glass, back and sides... :)

bhdmc
02/18/2006, 04:47 PM
I do not.

Craig Lambert
02/18/2006, 05:11 PM
I guess its unanamous...It will create dead spots where food will get traped, and algae will love it.

So Cal shaggy
02/18/2006, 05:51 PM
I have stacked my rockwork against the back ever since I started I never have had any problems with flow problems or dead water space here are the tricks I used to get around that.
1. I used to use undergravel filter plates leaned against the back of the tank to give the rockwork something to rest against rather than the back glass of the tank I would then place a couple of powerheads pointing up from the sand and a couple pointing from one end of the tank to the other these would create currents behind the filter plates and since they have holes in them there is water flow coming from behind the reef as well as in front.
2. when I started using tanks that had returns pre drilled in them I plumb them with PVC pipes with holes drilled in them for the return that will spray both towards the front of the tank and up from the bottom I also placed a couple of powerheads with multiple small pieces of PVC pipe capped and drilled attached to the powerheads that snake around behind the rockwork to flush the back of my reef keeping uneaten food and waste in the front of the tank so it can be cleaned out.

integlikewhoa
02/18/2006, 07:38 PM
When i say stack them against the back. Its not air tight. The bottom is few inches away and the top touchs. But its not alot of weight pressed against the back. Its just leaned up against the back. Plus with the force of the water pushing out i dont think a rock leaning up against the back is going to cause a problem.

old salty
02/18/2006, 08:28 PM
I stack rock against the back of the tank. I have four returns which are pointed down behind the rockwork to keep the water moving.

Alaskan Reefer
02/19/2006, 12:51 AM
I stack against the back and always have. And not for a fruit stand look:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/aarongray/newbackground125.jpg

Keeping coralline off the back of an established tank is too much work, and all of my rock is up on PVC stands anyway with the returns pointed down behind the rockwork -- the tank is bare bottom behind the rockwork there's so much flow back there.

hock51
02/19/2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies!