PDA

View Full Version : Tank hangs off the edge

fishfide
02/18/2006, 03:25 PM
Ive just set up my 220 in wall, I had a brace built for it and its not big enough. It
hangs off the back about 3 inches. Will this be a problem? 72x24x30

Zigzag Man
02/18/2006, 03:31 PM
Well, if it were me, I'd figure out some way to extend the brace that extra three inches. At 8 lbs. per gallon of water, you're looking at about 1700 lbs. in water alone... and that's going to be putting a lot of stress on the tank seams.

By not having the tank evenly supported, you risk stressing those seams even further, which could be disastrous.

Also, with the tank farther back, you've shifted it's center of gravity somewhat so that more weight will be positioned over the rear brace, rather than it being evenly spread front-to-back.

If you have a digital camera, maybe a photo of what you're talking about might help a bit in figuring out what to do.

fishfide
02/18/2006, 04:00 PM
Ill see if I can get a picture next week, is there a risk damaging the tank when I extend the brace?

Zigzag Man
02/18/2006, 04:34 PM
I guess it just depends on how accurate you are with a hammer. ;)

I think it should be okay... but I'd really need to visualize what's going on before I can definitively answer. :)

fishfide
02/18/2006, 09:38 PM
Great, thought I might have to drain the tank before putting the rest of the brace in, swoosh. Thanks for your help, Ill get my dads digital and take a pic hopefully on monday.

Entropy
02/18/2006, 10:20 PM
I would drain the tank anyway. You are seriously at risk of having a disaster on your hands. You are basically saying the entire back of your tank (back edge) is resting on air? YIKES!

fishfide
02/18/2006, 10:41 PM
Jees louise, now you got me worried, I cant do it tommorow, but monday I can, is that ok, or maybe tommorow night. I cant tonight because the did the floors of the house.

fishfide
02/21/2006, 01:53 AM
okay, i put 2 2x4 under the rest and fits perfect except there is about a millimeter before it touches the tank under the tank the 2x4. I was thinking of wedging a millimeter piece of wood in between the 2x4 and the tank on the corners to give a little more support. Will that work, or is it risky? I know I promised pics today, but for sure tommorow I will. Any help is appreciated.

natex
02/21/2006, 03:16 AM
Shim the legs of the support so that it raises the 2x4 to the tank.