PDA

View Full Version : ID/what is this?

chicagobullfan
02/18/2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry, no picture, but just noticed about 2 dozen little (what I am calling "eggs" for now) circles approximately 1-1.5 mm across attached to my glass. I can't get a good picture since they're so small but they appear white around the outside with yellow in the middle. Any ideas?

Also, I have a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp that appears to be full of green eggs, anyone with any experience with this that can help me out with some info???

Blown 346
02/18/2006, 04:38 PM
The white round things you have could possibly be sponges, that shows that your tank is maturing and is in good shape. They are fine to have as they will filter feed.
The only thing you can do with the shrimp, is put it in a seperate tank so the babies dont get eaten, or filtered out.

Paintbug
02/18/2006, 04:42 PM
what kind of snails do you have in your tank? do they move?

chicagobullfan
02/18/2006, 05:05 PM
I have some nerites snails and some margarita snails... yeah, they move. :-)

Paintbug
02/18/2006, 06:33 PM
if they move then they are probablly going to be flatworms (Amphiscolops sp.). the clear ones are not a problem, and the population will explode then die off once they starve out. this is a pic i got from melev's site.
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0404/clear_flatworm2.jpg

for some more info check www.melevsreef.com/id and look under flatworms

hock51
02/18/2006, 10:09 PM
probably eggs from your nerite snails.

75Gallons
02/18/2006, 10:32 PM
I've had an explosion. In the last few months I went from having 2 or 3 to having about 20 to 30 of them.

chicagobullfan
02/18/2006, 11:07 PM
That is an excellent picture you posted. What I have does look exactly like that, except completely circular, even on close inspection, so hopefully they're not flatworms... and they are actually not moving, I thought they might have moved, but maybe they're just new ones in different spots. They appear to have yellow "eggs" inside the round white sacks kind of like that picture.

Paintbug
02/19/2006, 10:16 AM
if they dont actually move then they are probably going to be nerite snail eggs like hock51 said. they will probably be eating by your fish, if they do hatch, then the baby snails will probably become a meal. you may have a few servive, but chances are slim.