PDA

View Full Version : I want my aquarium to have a rock overhang

Danster
02/18/2006, 05:53 PM
I don't know if this makes any sense but I'm about to aqua scape my new 240 and I want not just a rock wall but at the top the rock to actually suspend out across the top... kind of like a rock over hang. Hopefully I'm describing what i want correctly. But how would I hold the rock suspended out? any ideas thanks

wetWolger
02/18/2006, 06:07 PM
its all about center of gravity....you can make a center rock pillar that goes up with it to give it support if it is really long. Otherwise it is just center of gravity, a balancing act if you will. You can place rocks ontop of the shelf towards the back to move the center of gravity a bit.

TrojanScott
02/18/2006, 06:07 PM
Obviously the first you thing you need to find is a good sized rock that's shaped like a ledge, or flat. I've made ledges before, and it does take some patience and work to get it done. If you can't get the pieces to work for you, you can try gluing the rock together, although once it's done, it's done!

It's doable, just take your time and work with it.

artful-dodger
02/18/2006, 06:10 PM
Just keep in mind the risk of the the rock falling and striking front or rear glass panels.

That warning said, consider drilling a couple of matching holes (say 1/4") in both rocks and then use a few pieces of lucite/acrylic rod inserted into both. You'll still want to balance that rock but the rods should help stabilize it. Plastic cable ties are another option. I wouldn't depend on underwater epoxy by itself...FME it isn't strong enough.

roons
02/18/2006, 06:10 PM
all depends what kind of shapes of rock you get .................

i kind of made an overhang but it was more important to me to leave holes for the fish to swim thru

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9291/minip21700041vt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Danster
02/18/2006, 07:32 PM
Interesting. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Drilling holes in the rock and putting acrylic rods sounds like alot of work.. but doable. I'm not sure I would do the glue. I'm not sure if it would hold. I'll probably try to get some flat pieces of rock and see if that will work. I just want it to look good. BTW nice tank roons.

integlikewhoa
02/18/2006, 08:01 PM
Its possible but going to take some time and proper thinking to be safe.

Alaskan Reefer
02/19/2006, 01:00 AM
You can hang it from the lip of the tank as well via PVC "hangers" (cut in half at ends to not roll, drilled to accept the black zip ties that you strap around the rock). There's a thread here that I can't find now with no search function. I'm going to do it some in my forthcoming lionfish FOWLR...