PDA

View Full Version : galaxia coral

onecrzyboi4u
02/18/2006, 05:52 PM
i bought a real pretty galaxia coral today.. i was wonderin where in your tanks.. did u guys place them for best results? what feed routines u guys had.. bascially i want to know how u cared for them. things you did how u had ur flow... i think i have made mine happy it's got it's feeder tencles all stretched out and there going in and out.. ( so to speak)

Agu
02/18/2006, 06:57 PM
Uhhh, those aren't feeder tentacles. They're stinging tentacles that will eventually kill every coral they touch.

Medium light, medium flow, far away from other corals (esp anything downstream). I've never directly fed my galaxea.

hth,

onecrzyboi4u
02/18/2006, 07:01 PM
ok.. so far it's the only coral in my tank .. .

firefish2020
02/18/2006, 07:06 PM
Those tentacles can get up to 12 inches long in some Galaxia. Ours is placed low on a shelf out of reach of other coral under 2X150 watt DE halides. I have heard of people actually cutting the tentacles to keep them short but I think that might cause long term stress in the animal so I dont recomend it.

roons
02/18/2006, 07:51 PM
it seems with mine the more flow it gets the shorter the stingers are

BillnJennh
02/18/2006, 08:04 PM
I take some frozen shrimp and grate off some of it, mix it with water, and let it drift down on the galaxia with the pumps off. I'm seeing some really good growth doing this.

hock51
02/18/2006, 08:13 PM
I agree with roons, I had one in a lower flow area of my tank ( it was only about 2 1/2 inches across) and it killed one head of a torch coral about 4 inches away. When I moved it to a higher current area of the tank, it didn't seem to reach near as far. I have since gotten rid of the coral because I wanted to utilize the space around it and couldn't, because of the wicked sweeper tentacles. They are one of the most aggressive corals you will find.

onecrzyboi4u
02/18/2006, 09:14 PM
i didn't wanna force too much water flow.. what other corals are u guys puttin with these..

JENnKerry
02/19/2006, 09:15 AM
I had to get rid of my galaxia because it outgrew my 125.

Also, everything AGU said :)

onecrzyboi4u
02/19/2006, 01:19 PM
ohhh.. do they put there stinger tens out all the time? i got a new powerhead made for corals.. called powersweep.. that seems to have perked the galaxia up.

firefish2020
02/19/2006, 05:25 PM
I think you will find the power sweep is not a great invetment in time. If you need random flow get a wavemaker of some type, the powersweeps will eventually stop working.

onecrzyboi4u
02/19/2006, 05:38 PM
wave maker of some type.. any links to these things?

ugination87
02/19/2006, 06:24 PM
can u frag these?

onecrzyboi4u
02/19/2006, 07:23 PM
from what i hear you can .. just takes time

meanmachine
02/20/2006, 07:19 AM
I have a galaxia coral placed on top of my rock base....i just realized a new galaxia bulb that formed all the way on the bottom of my rock base....it's about 5" away from my glaxia frag. Is this a normal occurance?

firefish2020
02/20/2006, 10:23 AM
wave maker of some type.. any links to these things?

Redsea makes a nice one, and Aquarium Systems makes an affordable alternative, powerstrip version. You can also just use simple 15 min appliance timers to break up the flow.

can u frag these?

If you are referring to Galaxia, indeed.
You can cut a medium sized galaxia into many smaller chunks. Sometimes it will break apart into stalks. These staks can be glued to a nice smooth surface where they will form new colonies. The small frags will grow upward and form new stalks quickly if given the proper conditions. If more than 1 stalk is on a rock they will merge together to form a huge colony very quickly. Our Galaxia gets fragged about once a year producing a nice 4-5 inch daughter colony and paying her rent in our system :) Each time it seems to grow faster. Right now she grows under dual DE150 Halides.

....i just realized a new galaxia bulb that formed all the way on the bottom of my rock base....it's about 5" away from my glaxia frag. Is this a normal occurance?

Thats a small bud not sure how it got where it is unless it fell there after fragging but either way it will form a new stalk and merge with your original colony.