PDA

View Full Version : Is LR/LS still alive in old tank?

tony098
02/18/2006, 09:33 PM
I want to buy an used 125G that comes with live rock and live sand. There is water but no fish in the tank. The rocks don't' t have the red or purple color. Is the rock and sand still "alive"? What do I need to do to clean it up?

Thanks.

artful-dodger
02/18/2006, 09:53 PM
If the water has been circulating with powerheads or main pump then the rock should still be live. I wouldn't try to keep the sand, though. You'll probably stir up lots of nasty junk when you siphon it out. Even if the rock isn't actively "live" it will redevelop its bacteria bed when you set the tank back up. Expect it to go through a new cycle (and if it doesn't, just count it as good luck.)

Coralline algae will start to grow again once you have the rock properly illuminated. It has nothing to do with the filtration capabilities of the rock.

Take some Rubbermaid tubs or buckets with you, unload the rock into them and cover with salt water. (Use lots of containers or you won't be able to lift them...ask how I know...) Only after the rock is out start to scoop out the sand--it will make a big mess in the water.

If you have some powerheads add one to each bucket when you get home. The rock will keep just fine in those containers for as long as you need to move and setup the tank again. You can rinse or even scrub the rock (with a new brush) in those buckets to clean it up.

There is another potential risk with "used" rock. If the owner has medicated the tank the rock could potentially leach copper or other meds back into the water for a long time.