PDA

View Full Version : water


rous
02/19/2006, 06:29 AM
what is the difference between dionised water and r-o water,
also can you use rain water

Fast Fred
02/19/2006, 08:45 AM
R/O water is filtered through a membrane that should remove 98% of everything that's in the water besides H2O. D/I resin removes the other 2% after it has passed through the R/O membrane. At least that's the theory.

Rain water is prolly no good, unless there is zero air polution where you live. Chances are, if you live on Earth, there is air polution of some sort where you live.

rpeeples
02/19/2006, 10:17 AM
Do not use rain water!!

RODI unit is your best bet.....after all it is the main ingredient in your tank?

BlackOnyx
02/19/2006, 10:44 AM
distilled is another option but be careful as it may contain phosphates

rous
02/19/2006, 10:45 AM
ive been using dionised water instead of ro water now for the last two years and found it excellent.
just wondered if ro water was better thats all.
anemone's do really well and striped mushrooms thrive in it and have spread to the point that i had to sell some off.

PatMayo
02/19/2006, 10:50 AM
Before I got my RO/DI system, I used one gallon jugs of Certified Distilled water for my tank. It work perfectly well.

I'm with the others, do not use rain water. We have lots of rain here in Seattle, but I still would not use it. Extremely pure water is required to be successful in this game.

Regards,

Pat

rous
02/19/2006, 10:59 AM
i wasnt going to use rain water cos of the obvious pollution in the air which was pointed out above,it was just hypotheticle.
i did want to know what was the best ro or dionised.
i guess it all boils down to preference in the end i guess.

Fast Fred
02/19/2006, 11:49 PM
D/I resin is quickly used up if your incoming water has a high TDS. D/I resin isn't cheap to replace either. This is the reason I believe most people run their water through an R/O membrane before going through D/I.

boxfishpooalot
02/20/2006, 05:26 AM
ro is better alone if not getting the combo of di. Di is like sand. But it absorbs stuff in the water. RO is a thin tube that has extremely small holes in it big enough to let only certain molecules pass through it. One that can pass through is water, another is Co2 and chlorine. The rest is removed by deionized resin, like Co2 and chlorines/chloramines. Fwiw, there is more stuff in tap water than you can count. Here is an example of my city tap water. http://www.winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/water/testResultsWinnipeg.stm You can look up your citys tap on the net.Thats why its reccomended to get the full blown purification unit(ro/di with sediment filter). As the stuff in tap water rapidly accumulates to bad levels.

Phophate will be your biggest problem if you use just tap water, because it will cause crazy amounts of "beautifull" green, brown, red, and every other color in the rainbow of algae to grow. Wich will trap dirt, make more phosphtes and grow more. Soon your tank will look just like the sewage plant...:lol: jk.

rous
02/20/2006, 06:42 AM
im lucky regarding replacement di water i get as much as i want for free from where my father in law works.
my tank is di water only with added salt and in it goes.never had any probs with the ph/nitrite/nitrate/amonia levels,all read what they should do and dont get hardly any crappy algae iether
all i can say is it works fine.
please comment if you know different or agree with me be interesting to see the results.
cheers
dave