PDA

View Full Version : Quick Phosphate decline killing clams

acropora213
02/19/2006, 07:12 PM
I'm thinking that the drastic drop in my Phosphate in the last two weeks has just killed my clam !!
I've heard of the same thing happening to sps and such, but I am shocked, ****ed, and sad im losing my 4" Teal Maxima.

There are really no other changes in the system, and I've had the clam for a year. Phosban started recently, but only noticed mantle retraction last night, or today.

Lemmy know folks :sad1:

boxfishpooalot
02/19/2006, 07:27 PM
possibly iron killing it, wich leaches from phosban.

acropora213
02/19/2006, 07:32 PM
Wow, thats a thought.

Has anyone else heard of this idea, as well as others ??

The Phosban is not in for that long at one time

mbbuna
02/19/2006, 08:54 PM
this is pulled from another board. this is also the cause of Pinched Mantle in clams. to keep this from happening GAC should be run after a PO4 reactor.

posted by Nuhtty
I have studied the effects of heavy metal toxicity in humans and the role that iron chelators play (chemicals that "eat up" iron making it unable to form molecular bonds) so interestingly I was familiar with research that studied iron chelators and protozoal infections. In this case, P. atlanticus which affects the Carpet Shell Clams.

Below I linked a study from 2003 that investigates the role of 2 such iron chelators and their effect on the protozoal infections.

I dont know your scientific background so forgive me if I am speaking down to you.

Here is what the study showed:
- Iron chelators inhibited the growth of P. atlanticus
- No growth of P. atlanticus = no dead clams
- Removal of iron chelators (therefore the ability for iron to be used in the protozoa again) = protozoa grew more rapidly

So when you added the iron to your system you allowed the Perkinsus protozoa (difficult to tell which species in this case) to grow and therefore kill your clams.

There is no known "treatment" per se, but removal of iron from the system should be all that is needed.

I would recommend water changes and removal of all clams, abalone, scallops and other similar animals from your system.

Continue water changes until your iron readings are undetectable...then do MORE water changes. I would say a good water change per week for 2 months past the time when there is NO detectable iron would put you in the safe range.

From that point on be cautious in the livestock you choose. Try to buy farm raised clams as these specimens are less likely to be infected with the protozoa.

Here are 2 links for more reading. Again, I dont know your scientific background so if you need help interpreting any of the data or you want me to help "translate" some of the scientific jargon I would be more than happy to do so.

Hope I have been informative.

(this is a PDF file so you need Acrobat to read it)
http://www.ualg.pt/fcma/edge/Articles/Elan...20chelator'

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/shelldis/.../perkincc_e.htm

This post has been edited by Nuhtty: Jan 1 2006, 01:26 PM

acropora213
02/19/2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks mbbuna. Please tell me what GAC stands for ??

Sorry ;^)>

miztic
02/19/2006, 09:53 PM
GAC = Granular Activated Carbon

acropora213
02/19/2006, 10:45 PM
Possibly running Carbon and Phosban together in a reactor will prevent this leaching of these metals into the system ??

mbbuna
02/19/2006, 10:49 PM
i would run the carbon after in a separate reactor

boxfishpooalot
02/20/2006, 05:01 AM
I would remove the phosban untill you see improvment in your clam :)

acropora213
02/20/2006, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately , it is no more !! Pushin' up daisies , it has siezed to exist...