PDA

View Full Version : Boxer Crab

DMBillies
02/19/2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.vibrantsea.net/images/boxer19_anilao18.jpg

I bought a boxer crab a couple of weeks ago from the Critter and upon being introduced into my tank she disappeared. This is not all that surprising given her size, but I was hoping that she would move about the tank a bit and I would be able to see her. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Prior to buying I was not able to find much if any info about these little guys, but I always thought they were cool, and I hadn't heard anything bad, so I went ahead and got one. As far as I can tell, she hasn't been wreaking any havoc to any of my tank inhabitants (including corals and other inverts). In fact, she doesn't seem to be doing anything and so I assumed that she was dead. Well, I moved a rock in my tank tonight and there she was! My girlfriend was super excited because I added the crab when she was at work and she had never seen her. I was super excited because, in addition to seeing her alive, she also had a bright orange egg sack beneath her abdomen (at least I'm assuming that's what it is because it looks about the same as a blue crab's except a little darker orange). I'm assuming her clutch of eggs might be one reason that she has been hiding non-stop (although that could just be a characteristic of their personalities). I was wondering if you guys know anything about these crabs and whether there is anything I might be able to do to ensure that I get some babies that live?

Thanks for any info,
"B

aquaman67
02/19/2006, 11:58 PM
First, that is a cool looking crab. Congrats on finding her and the eggs too!

I think this is the same crab.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1474&N=0

This gives a little info, maybe google the latin name and see what comes up.

Sorry I'm not more helpful....

nam2212
02/21/2006, 09:42 PM
I got one last week and she also had a ton of bright orange eggs. Mine has been hiding since I put her in also. I have seen her 3 times since I put her in the tank. I saw here a couple of days ago when I put a blue CBS in. She started waving her anemones at the shrimp and then took off.

fishdoc11
02/21/2006, 09:53 PM
Nice pic "B" :)

greystreet41
02/22/2006, 08:31 AM
solid pic!

DMBillies
02/26/2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it is a nice picture... That's also a beautiful piece of coral it's standing on... I'll have to tell that to the guy who took the picture if I ever meet him. I was just including the pic so that everyone knew exactly what kind of crab I was talking about. I have seen porcelain crabs mislabeled as Boxer's before and I've only ever seen Boxer crabs for sale 2 times.