PDA

View Full Version : Center brace

Sullyman
02/19/2006, 11:15 PM
Anyone ever removed/replaced a center brace on a aga 120gallon tank? I have a light fixture that will lose too much light with the brace. Any way to take out the brace and replace with clear acylic or to euro-brace the tank top?
Bob

prugs
02/20/2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Sullyman,
I have contemplated that myself, many times.
From what I've read on other threads:
Drain your tank as much as possible.
Place a bar clamp across the top, where you want to cut the brace out. If you over tighten the clamp you will bust the tank.
Then cut out the brace. You have to leave a couple inches remaining on the ends of the center brace. Thats where you drill 4 holes in each end for nylon screws/nuts.
clamp the acrylic center brace in place & drill your holes thru the acrlic & the remaining old center brace.
After you have your nut/screws tightened, take off the bar clamp.

Warning: Do a search for center brace. It seems alot of people that have done this mod, are no longer with us. Not sure if they just got out of the hobby or their tank exploded, & then the dreaded divorce.
If you find someone that had their tank hold more than a few years, let me know.

Tom

Sullyman
02/20/2006, 06:17 PM
Hi Tom, I'm just wondering if it would be possible, sounds like it would be a gamble not worth taking. Thanks

CaptainCoral
02/20/2006, 06:31 PM
Scared of breaking the tank, or the divorce? :D

prugs
02/20/2006, 06:32 PM
Very possible to do. But I have to agree. I'm not sure its worth the risk.