PDA

View Full Version : RO Unit Shopping

doox00
02/20/2006, 10:29 AM
I would assume all ro units are not created equally.. this junk?

http://cgi.ebay.com/125-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-membrane-Water-Filter-Reef_W0QQitemZ4436022601QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

If so could some of you give me a list of recommended ro units that will not break the bank completely :)

kfisc
02/20/2006, 10:34 AM
If there's one piece of gear worth stretching the budget in return for long-term gain, I'd argue a good r/o unit would have to be in the top five. I'd buy a SpectraPure or other well-known unit from a reputable online dealer and let most ebay "deals" such as this pass you by. Good luck-

crumbletop
02/20/2006, 10:48 AM
I have a Typhoon unit from http://www.airwaterice.com/. It has a refillable DI cartridge which should translate into lower maintanence costs (the DI is the most frequently replaced part). I really like my unit, and the customer service is great.

Jack

mcegelsk
02/20/2006, 10:58 AM
I plan on purchasing the Typhoon III today from http://www.airwaterice.com/ if they are open. I emailed and made a special request from them late on Friday, and they turned right around with an email within a few hours saying they could do what I wanted. Also if you mention Reef Central they will give you an added item or discount. And from all that I've read on here tons of people really like the www.airwaterice.com.

doox00
02/20/2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1COMPACT75

that one do the trick?

boxfishbruce
02/20/2006, 11:09 AM
I bought the Typhoon III- Nice Unit. Easy to set up.

Opiy
02/20/2006, 11:11 AM
I also plan to get the Typhoon III ASAP. I haveheard nothing but great things about this unit.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII

mcegelsk
02/20/2006, 11:28 AM
Damn, they aren't open today! Well, tomorrow I'll be callin'.

ledford1
02/20/2006, 11:48 AM
I have a 75gpd Typhoon III - great unit.

Chads29
02/20/2006, 12:05 PM
When I first started looking for a RO/DI unit a good friend of mine told me to buy the unit with the most output as I could afford, which was a 100 gpd aqua fx baracuda.

After a year or so I also purchased a booster pump so that i could get the most out of my unit.

This advice worked for me and I hope it works for you.

Good Luck,
Chad

IslandCrow
02/20/2006, 12:37 PM
I like my Baracuda as well. The instructions it comes with are pretty sparse, but setup was really simple, there's more info on their website, and most importantly, their customer support seems quite good.

crumbletop
02/20/2006, 12:50 PM
From what I understand, the 75gpd membrane rejects a higher percentage of the "bad stuff" than the 100gpd. This ultimately saves the DI resin because less contaminants are making it to the resin. If you don't need 100 gpd, I'd go with the lower 75gpd membrane. They are the same price, so you can take your pick. I have the typhoon with the 75gpd membrane and it works great for me.

Jack

mcegelsk
02/20/2006, 02:56 PM
So they were open today! I got my Typhoon III, with the 75GPD membrane because yes it has the higher rejection rating than the 100GPD. Can't wait to get it and stop making the trips to the LFS for just water!

aquaman67
02/20/2006, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6785756#post6785756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcegelsk
So they were open today! I got my Typhoon III, with the 75GPD membrane because yes it has the higher rejection rating than the 100GPD. Can't wait to get it and stop making the trips to the LFS for just water!

:thumbsup:

Don't use the first 5 gallons or so and don't panic if you don't get much water out of the good line right away. It takes time to saturate the filters and membrane.

doox00
02/20/2006, 03:48 PM
Just got off the phone with them as well, ordered a typhoon III too. Very friendly people, highly recommended.

thanks all!

BadOleRoss
02/20/2006, 08:08 PM
I have a typhoon III as well and it was simple to set up and provides plenty of water.

LiveRoker
02/20/2006, 08:14 PM
I actually have the unit from ebay that you have listed the link for. It actually works just fine, the actual filters for each of the 6 stages are all made my major companies including the membrane so I wouldn't worry too much.

Bugs825
02/20/2006, 10:58 PM
I have this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMUS-PLUS-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ4440734456QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Works great and has the 16 oz refillable DI.

I bypass the final carbon for the tanks but run the house water through it.

Nathan

doox00
02/20/2006, 11:07 PM
I was going to get the one on ebay, but was afraid it would be one of those purcahses where in a month you go out and buy what you should have to begin with. :) I got the typhoon III for 139.30, he gave me a good deal on a new but out of box one he had. so I just opted to go that route.

griff609
02/21/2006, 12:14 AM
I ordered the Eskimo system from airwaterice and had it setup for warm climate with inline TDS meter and pressure guage, basically a 150gpd typhoon 3. I agree the sysytem is top of the line very sturdy well built but airwater ice is not very good on customer service, polite yes, but not very reliable on response to emails. My order did not come complete as it was supposed too (missing float valve) which it's not really needed to run the setup but I paid for it. I emailed them and they said they would take care of it just to email me with a list of what was missing and they would send it out, so i did (about a week ago) still no reply to email or a float valve.

crumbletop
02/21/2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry you are having support issues. I had a problem with my unit when it first arrived. There was a _very_ slow leak around where the tap water enters the first chamber. They were responsive and sent me a new part which I installed and everything works perfectly. I can't remember if there were any delays in the email correspondence for me, but I couldn't be happier with their service, or with the unit.

Jack

TitansFan
02/21/2006, 12:03 PM
My typhoon 3 works great!! Its a good feeling knowing you have atleast one piece of equipment you do not have to worry about upgrading for along time if ever. It also comes with everything you would need including the TDS meter and a built in pressure guage. I now have further proof as to my thoughts that I have low water pressure. I guess I will be crawling under the house to find that darn water pressure limiter.
I was missing a few parts on my drinking water addon kit. I called and got them put in the mail the next day. Of course it may have helped that they sent me on mistake 2 typhoon 3 units and wanted to ship me a return label as well. :D

Its a solid unit and with the drinking addon was a much easier "sell" for the wife.

griff609
02/21/2006, 12:45 PM
I emailed them again last night, and this morning I recieved 3 emails: one, "Sorry for the inconvenience" one, "your product was shipped today priority mail" and one, "conformation your product was shipped"

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from my previous post as the product is solid as a rock, and the people are very polite, I'm not sure what the problem was between email's but it seems to be solved now.
:D