PDA

View Full Version : Heater HELP! Fish are getting ICK!

PuffersKick
02/20/2006, 11:43 AM
I just set up a 215 FOWLR rectangular tank. I've noticed that the tank really fluctuates too much from day to night (like 3-4 degrees). I think this has resulted in my fish getting ick.

The guy who set up my tank just put a 250 watt heater down in the sump. I just don't think that is enough. I was considering adding 2 additional heaters inside the tank (one at each end). Would that be a good idea? And what size heaters would be best to add? 150 watt? 250 watt?

Spuds725
02/20/2006, 11:50 AM
I'd add a 2nd 250 watt and see if that stabilizes your temp... I like to put a heater in my tank as well as sump (incase my sump return pump quits)...

What brand heater are you using and what temp are you going for...

What is the room temp also...

PuffersKick
02/20/2006, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6784374#post6784374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spuds725
I'd add a 2nd 250 watt and see if that stabilizes your temp... I like to put a heater in my tank as well as sump (incase my sump return pump quits)...

What brand heater are you using and what temp are you going for...

What is the room temp also...

Have a 250 Jager heater. Was told they are the best. I try to keep my house temp regulated around 72-75, but our weather has been wacky lately. And this tank is located near a window. I do have blinds and a drape over it, but I'm sure it still makes a difference.

The reason I was thinking of adding 2 was so I could put one on each end of the tank so the heat is more evenly dispursed.