PDA

View Full Version : 6 Foot 180Gallon tank!

jastormont
02/20/2006, 02:14 PM
Hi guys.

As some of you might be already aware I have just started a 50 gallon Marine Tank. I am so happy and excited by it I am allready thinking of converting my 6 foot planted tank to a Marine!

Now I am not planning to do this straight away but I am starting to look at cost and also planning for it as I want it to be a good basic system. I have done my 50 Gallon on a Berlin style system and finding it to be quite good and stable even in my little 50 Gallon. I was wanting to know what you guys thought for use as a filter system on a tank this size, and also what other equipment you would recommend.

I should mention what I allready have shouldn't I. Here is what I have so far:

6 Ft Tank (180 Gallons)
1 AquaOne Light (3x150M/H, 4x28Watt A C/Fluro, 2x18Watt A C/Fluro)
2x300Watt Heaters
Tunze CO2 System
2x Ehime Canaster Filters (although I do not plan to use these unless)

As you can see I have about half the equipment, and my Light although it was bought for a planted tank is setup for marine as you can probably tell (I was about to replace the bulbs only a new light).

I am planning on getting a chiller for my 50 Gallon soon and then once this new tank is ready moving the 50 gallons inhabbitats into the the new 180 gallon and using a second small chiller on the 180Gallon tank (in other words using 2 small chillers).

I also need to think about a Sump I guess and a skimmer design and that, so any ideas about this (or link tips to sites) would be greatly appriciated. I also am thinking of doing a Calcium reactor since I have the Tunze Co2 system but have no idea on how to create one of these either.

As you can see I am at the early stage of this and would value any ideas on how to do this. I plan on making a diary of this to let everyone see my progress (and mistakes as I am sure there will be plenty :) ) to you all when I start this. I plan to start this in the next couple of months.

Cheers....

MrMoo
02/20/2006, 03:01 PM
On the chiller, if you are planning on using both small chillers on the 180, I would just get one big enough to handle the 180. There are efficiency losses on any system and you would be increasing those losses by using 2 chillers.

On the sizing, it really depends on how much temperature pull down from ambient temperature that you need. A single larger unit would also serve this more efficently.

Depending on your plans for the 50, you could actually use it for your sump. You would have to get a little creative to make the change but you could use one of those rubbermaid tubs, or a picnic cooler temporarily - provided it will hold the volume.

If you plan on using any phosphate removers, you could use one of the ehims instead of the reactor. A few minor modifications to insure proper operation.

I would definitely set up a refugium area in the sump.

Lots of good skimmer choices out there. The needle wheel types are very efficient but volume thru them is limited, down draft processes large volume but can be noisy and costly to run (energy) - becketts similar. The aqua-c is a nice design.

jastormont
02/21/2006, 01:50 AM
I was told that if you use to small chillers it can work better. You set one chiller to let's say 25 degrees and the other chiller to lets say 26 degree. When the water is not likly to get as hot (night time winter) only 1 chiller will have to work and then when it is hotter and that chiller can not maaintain the temp the other chiller will kick in. we are only talking 1 - 2 degrees here so it should not impact on the tank at all.

AllenFord_SC
02/21/2006, 02:15 AM
The only problem with what you were told is chillers have a "pull down" rating. That is the maximum they can pull down the temp on a certain amount of water. The smaller chillers can only do so much and with the tank constantly gaining heat from the lights the chiller can't keep up. You will definetly need a larger chiller. The best thing is to always go a size larger than you need so it doesn't have to run as long.

jastormont
02/21/2006, 04:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6791097#post6791097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AllenFord_SC
The only problem with what you were told is chillers have a "pull down" rating. That is the maximum they can pull down the temp on a certain amount of water. The smaller chillers can only do so much and with the tank constantly gaining heat from the lights the chiller can't keep up. You will definetly need a larger chiller. The best thing is to always go a size larger than you need so it doesn't have to run as long.

I do not mean to make this into a slugging much but I really must disagree with that. Why would 2 chillers not be able to do what one large unit would do? It is much like a Air conditioner unit is a house, you can buy one large unit or 2 smaller ones. I do not see what cooling water is any diffrent to colling air. It is also like heaters, I know of many people whoi use 2 small rated heaters to equate to a one large heater. I would imagine though that if you use 2 chillers you would have to plan the system properly. Also large amounts of water are slower to heat up and also slower to cool down but once maitained I think 2 small chillers could do a better job and possibly save money in winter or at nights when 1 chiller will do.