PDA

View Full Version : White spot help

Paulbav
02/20/2006, 03:14 PM
I am having a tank crisis and hope you can help? my girlfriend added a juve queen angel to my tank just over a week ago for a surprise pressie which was fantastic except that the next day both the queen and my royal grammer developed white spot I had only just done a water change and all my levels were good so I went to my LFS and was advised to try the esHa treatment which I did and it seemed to work ok but as soon as the treatment stopped on friday the Queen was really poorly by sat morning and later that day died (in the LFS sump). I have since run another 3 day corse of trestment and am trying not to fiddle with the tank but the Royal Grammer is still not very happy seems to be hiding alot more that usuall although he did eat ok this eve and the spots arn't as bad (although thats what happened last time untill the treatment stopped). I have just carried out more water checks and I think my Ph may be to low therefore lowering the KH of my tank my parameters are as follows;

SG 1.023 (was 1.025 but have just topped up with a couple of jugs of RO)
KH 80 mg/l
PH 7.7-7.9
NO2 0
NO3 5
Amonnia 0.

I guess that this coud be causin cosiderable stress to my fish but I am not to sure how to rectifiy this or how to proceed please can someone help me I'll be gutted if rodney dies too

Many thanx Paul

ps my Ph and Kh seemed fine last weekend could it be the treatment? Oh and I have my skimmer of at the moment for the treatment to work.

RBU1
02/20/2006, 04:31 PM
Well assuming you have a reef with inverts and corals. My advice to you would be one that you most likely will not want to hear. Here goes anyway. I would remove all fish from your tank and set up a hospital tank. In that tank I would run my salinity real low double check this but 1.007 is I think is a good number. Ich can not survive in low salinity. The hard part is you have to continue to keep the fish in hypo salinity for at least 8 weeks. The longer the better. Also by leaving your main tank fish less the ich life cycle dies. It is no doubt a pain the the neck but it works. You can also try a new product I have seen advertised on this site called no sick fish. I have heard no responses on this product good or bad. Good Luck to you BILL

supertech3
02/20/2006, 04:42 PM
the hypo level is 1.009 and you need a refractometer for a real reading do not try a hydrometer they may say the will read it but they will not and I did a comparison to a refractometer and they are inaccurate

RBU1
02/20/2006, 05:55 PM
You are correct I forgot about the refractometer. That is a definate. I think that I remember reading that the 1.009 salinity was being changed to 1.007 due to strains of ich being able to survive at 1.009 I am not positive but almost. I read it on Reef Central somewere. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

kraze3
02/20/2006, 06:15 PM
Dont think this is exactly the article u wanted but it talks about strands of ich being found in many diff water conditions http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/mini2.htm