PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Please help me pick my T5 setup for a 40B.

hahnmeister
02/20/2006, 03:31 PM
I have two options. Both will cost me just under $400 with bulbs, and run at about the same wattage, so its really a toss up. This setup will be for a new 40breeder frag tank.

1. The SLS tek light: 6x39wattT5 fixture

2. A DIY Icecap retrofit (IC660, SLR reflectors, etc) but with 4 bulbs running at something like 60watts each.

The pros of the IC:
1. better reflector.
2. more watts per bulb means less bulbs to buy.

Cons of the IC:
1. How much extra light does the IC really make? I remember tests from a while back where NO bulbs were overpowered, and anything much over 20% resulted in no more extra output. I hear that the 660 ballast runs 3' T5s at something like 60watts...does this also result in 50% more output?

2. bulbs might not last as long and therefore my savings on less bulbs to buy might be counteres by lower bulb life.

3. might need a fan to cool the bulbs since they run hotter.

Tek Pros:
1. 6 bulbs = more bulbs, maybe more light even though it might be less watts than the IC ballast.

2. normal operating temps = no fan needed, and normal bulb life as well.

Tek Cons:
1. Inferior reflector to the IC SLR, but by how much?

2. more bulbs to buy

So it really comes down to this...does the extra juice that the IC 660 ballast really result in a 50% greater light output for the bulbs? Does the SLR reflector make that much more light than the tek to enable the use of just 4 bulbs instead of 6? What are the long term consequences of the overdriven T5s running with the IC660 ballast.

What would you pick? If your response is 'other' please post your suggestion. Halide is not an option on this tank.